Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Beatles News
5 January 2016
8.43pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2621sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
Uncut this month publishes its “200 Greatest Albums of All Time”. The Beach Boys Pet Sounds came out on top. These are The Beatles’ placings on the list:

149 A Hard Day’s Night
24 Abbey Road
21 Sgt. Pepper ‘s Lonely Hearts Club Band
15 Rubber Soul
5 The Beatles (White Album )
2 Revolver

Music Week reports that following the beginning of streaming, 11 of 17 albums available for streaming have re-entered the UK Top 200 album chart.

To bad Beatles For Sale isn’t on the list. Maybe next time.

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

5 January 2016
9.01pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

Ultimate Classic Rock reflects on the senseless shooting of Mal Evans by Los Angeles police 40 years ago yesterday/today (depending where you are).

RIP Mal, you deserved better.

mal-evansa-hard-days-night-paul-10heart

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Beatlebug, C.R.A.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

8 January 2016
9.13am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2623sp_Permalink sp_Print

George’s publishing has changed hands. The Estate of George Harrison have signed with Concord Bicycle Music to administer all of George’s publishing, which includes not only George’s work but also the publishing of other artists that appeared on Dark Horse Records (such as Ravi Shankar and Splinter). At the same time, Dhani has also signed with them to administer his own publishing.

Olivia has said:

Dhani and I are happy to embark on this new partnership with Bicycle Music, and we are excited that Bicycle is truly enthusiastic about such a wide variety of music.

Michael Pizzuto SVP with Bicycle Music said:

It’s an honor of the highest order to be working creatively with a musical legacy so profoundly influential and intimate to me.

Beyond George’s most loved and well known hits there is a deep well of magic in the catalog, songs that so vividly reflect the light and shade of George’s mystical spirit and pop sensibility.

It’s also exciting to be working with Dhani on his eclectic body of work as well as future projects.

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

8 January 2016
2.42pm
pepperland
vanished in the haze (England)
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 749
2624sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
George’s publishing has changed hands. The Estate of George Harrison have signed with Concord Bicycle Music to administer all of George’s publishing, which includes not only George’s work but also the publishing of other artists that appeared on Dark Horse Records (such as Ravi Shankar and Splinter). At the same time, Dhani has also signed with them to administer his own publishing.

That’s interesting. I’d never heard of Concord Bicycle but according to Wikipedia they are already in charge of Paul McCartney ‘s stuff.

Times I find it hard to say / With useless words getting in my waySuprised about this one.Sad about this one

11 January 2016
4.54pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22467
2625sp_Permalink sp_Print

Helping to spread the word.

Were you at the lost Beatles gig in 1962 Birmingham?

Bits from the article

Pop historians believe they have uncovered a mysterious lost Birmingham gig by The Beatles.

And they’ve issued an SOS in the hope that members of the public who were at the 1962 concert will get in touch.

The Fab Four were then unknowns and Ringo Starr had only just joined the group.

Not surprisingly, the set was played to a sparse audience at The Ritz Ballroom in Kings Heath.

But Bob Prew and Ken Whittaker, who organised the celebrations to mark the 50th anniversary of the ‘63 show, were stunned to be told it was The Beatles’ second visit.

No fewer than four people have approached them, claiming to have been in the audience.

“There must be something in it,” said Ken. “We have received the same information from four independent sources, all saying the same thing.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Father McCartney
11 January 2016
5.19pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8047
2626sp_Permalink sp_Print

That’s interesting. I wonder how they came to learn of the gig in the first place.  

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

11 January 2016
6.12pm
Father McCartney
London Palladium
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 172

Ahhh Girl said

Helping to spread the word.

Were you at the lost Beatles gig in 1962 Birmingham?

Bits from the article

Pop historians believe they have uncovered a mysterious lost Birmingham gig by The Beatles.

And they’ve issued an SOS in the hope that members of the public who were at the 1962 concert will get in touch.

The Fab Four were then unknowns and Ringo Starr had only just joined the group.

Not surprisingly, the set was played to a sparse audience at The Ritz Ballroom in Kings Heath.

But Bob Prew and Ken Whittaker, who organised the celebrations to mark the 50th anniversary of the ‘63 show, were stunned to be told it was The Beatles’ second visit.

No fewer than four people have approached them, claiming to have been in the audience.

“There must be something in it,” said Ken. “We have received the same information from four independent sources, all saying the same thing.

Interesting. It begs the question: Has this escaped even Mark Lewisohn’s radar, when seemingly no stone has been left unturned? The earliest Birmingham gig in Lewisohn’s complete Beatles Chronicle is Sunday 10th March ’63.
However, there is mention of a gig in West Bromwich on the evening of Monday 19th November 1962. I wonder if that’s where the confusion – nostalgic confabulation? – lies… Who knows.

11 January 2016
6.12pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
2628sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think it just came about because 4 people independently mentioned that they had been in the crowd during the 1962 concert. Will be interesting to watch this story develop.

11 January 2016
6.26pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 25093
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
2629sp_Permalink sp_Print

There was nothing in ‘Tune In’ that I remember. If the only evidence is four people claiming it happened i’ll remain skeptical. 

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

11 January 2016
6.35pm
Father McCartney
London Palladium
Members

Reviewers
2630sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

There was nothing in ‘Tune In’ that I remember. If the only evidence is four people claiming it happened i’ll remain skeptical. 

Birmingham gig on 19th November 1962, is mentioned in Tune In page 900, note 6.

The following people thank Father McCartney for this post:

Beatlebug
11 January 2016
6.41pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2631sp_Permalink sp_Print

Father McCartney said

meanmistermustard said

Well there is me shown up. My memory is terrible. a-hard-days-night-paul-3a-hard-days-night-paul-10

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

11 January 2016
6.46pm
Father McCartney
London Palladium
Members

Reviewers

meanmistermustard said

Father McCartney said

meanmistermustard said

Well there is me shown up. My memory is terrible. a-hard-days-night-paul-3a-hard-days-night-paul-10

Ha, mine too @mmm. Just had a vague inkling of something and then done a bit of thumbing through (never a chore with Beatles books!) a-hard-days-night-ringo-13

11 January 2016
6.49pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2633sp_Permalink sp_Print

I could  have checked but wasn’t moving from the sofa. I know, I’m fallible, all that envy you felt towards my greatness has been shattered. I apologise and hope you will find a way of carrying on with your lives.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Father McCartney

11 January 2016
6.58pm
Father McCartney
London Palladium
Members

Reviewers
2634sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

I could  have checked but wasn’t moving from the sofa. I know, I’m fallible, all that envy you felt towards my greatness has been shattered. I apologise and hope you will find a way of carrying on with your lives.

Lol, I know what you mean about the sofa. The only reason I ended up checking is because my partner has her pals in and I’m banished to my cave (i.e. my Beatles room), so it was in easy reaching distance!

Your greatness remains intact and indubitable! a-hard-days-night-ringo-15

The following people thank Father McCartney for this post:

Beatlebug, Ahhh Girl, meanmistermustard
11 January 2016
7.36pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
2635sp_Permalink sp_Print

You’re fine, mmm. I still can’t remember which songs are on which album yet. ahdn_paul_02 I’m working on it. I need to make some flashcards.

16 January 2016
4.38pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers

John Lennon nicked my pint, says fan at ‘lost’ Beatles gig in Birmingham

(probably nicked his bird for the night too but they guy won’t say – LOL)

The article presents the memories of several men who were there that night.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Beatlebug, pepperland
16 January 2016
5.12pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers

This article from the Mirror http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/u…..le-7190918 says the “missing” gig was in February 1962 – so Ringo wouldn’t have been a member of The Beatles yet.

This article from the Birmingham Mail http://www.birminghammail.co.u…..g-10703805 says of the date of the “missing” gig: “The sketchy details are in stark contrast to the hype surrounding The Beatles’ appearance just four months later.” If the appearance they mention is the February 1963 concert, then the date of the “missing” concert is in October 1962.

16 January 2016
5.21pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2638sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was coming here to post about that article, @Ahhh Girl, and this mystery gig.

Firstly, referring to the above exchange, the Birmingham gig Lewisohn references on 19 November 1962 doesn’t match what’s being suggested here, as the claim is for a February 1962 Birmingham gig:

Last week the [Sunday Mercury] revealed how rock historians Bob Prew and Ken Whittaker issued an SOS after being tipped off about the group’s mystery February 1962 appearance, which predates what has always been thought the group’s first Birmingham appearance the following year.

However, this latest account only makes sense in context of the 19 November 1962 which Lewisohn has already identified.

Why? Because of this:

“Just days before, Jean Metcalfe had introduced The Beatles on her radio show, Two Way Family Favourites,” [Malcolm Ward] recalls.

“I remember she said ‘I think we might hear more about these boys’.”

Just what Beatles record would Jean Metcalfe have been playing in February 1962. Their first known appearance on BBC Radio was not until the following month.

So Malcolm Ward’s account only makes sense if he is remembering the November appearance that Lewisohn has already identified.

16 January 2016
6.05pm
Father McCartney
London Palladium
Members

Reviewers
2639sp_Permalink sp_Print

Lewisohn doesn’t seem to remember that he’s alluded to a 19th November ’62 gig. In a Twitter exchange with someone else he says there are no (“nowt”) Birmingham gigs in ’62. I’ve pointed out the date to him after finding it a couple of days ago in his Tune In endnotes, though he hasn’t replied or acknowledged (which I don’t mind provided he is busying away on volume 2).

17 January 2016
4.12pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2640sp_Permalink sp_Print

The next stop for The Beatles exhibition currently travelling America is the new Grammy Museum in Cleveland, Mississippi. The opening exhibition there, it will run from 5 March to 12 June. Several related talks and symposiums will run alongside it.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 2057
Currently Online: meanmistermustard
Guest(s) 257
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9827
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8047
AppleScruffJunior: 7585
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6394
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2877
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5542
Newest Members:
Cergyon, Moisturefarmer, flyerk, anime7987, AbridgedPause
Moderators: Joe: 5706, meanmistermustard: 25093, Ahhh Girl: 22467, Beatlebug: 18214, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5706