Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The Beatles Bible 2015 Canon Poll - Results & Discussion
11 August 2015
8.37am
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
241sp_Permalink sp_Print

Matt Busby said

Wigwam said
Hitler and Charlie Chaplin! Thanks for having a go you two.

Apparently Odeon…….Stands for: Oscar Deutsch Entertains Our Nation….A man long dead and his name forgotten…….Except that it’s embedded in an acronym that no one knows………Ironic 

Anyway this is not the same Oscar who gave his name to the Academy award statuettes though….That was someone’s bald uncle.

Talking of Chaplin about 35 metres from the Odeon in The Edgware Rd, where a young Wigwam saw ‘Help ‘ 3 times on the trot…. was the ‘Met’ a music hall where a young Chaplin began his trade.

Actually that’s not such an amazing coincidence when you type it out. 

I’ve lost all respect haven’t I?

I’m afraid you have my friend. The Wikipedia entry for Odeon Cinemas contains this text: “Odeon Cinemas was created in 1928 by Oscar Deutsch. Odeon publicists liked to claim that the name of the cinemas was derived from his motto, “Oscar Deutsch Entertains Our Nation”,[1] but it had been used for cinemas in France and Italy in the 1920s, and the word is actually Ancient Greek.[2]

Thank you MB….

So it was pure opportunism ……….My dad told me that…..No goggle in those days to check!!

In any case I suppose it’s better than what, ‘J Arthur Rank’ is known for in the UK……..

11 August 2015
8.51am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
242sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don’t know why no-one’s taking the Chaplins seriously. It’s not like I made them up much!

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

11 August 2015
4.41pm
Matt Busby
In the town where I was born
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 932
243sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wigwam said

Thank you MB….

So it was pure opportunism ……….My dad told me that…..No goggle in those days to check!!

In any case I suppose it’s better than what, ‘J Arthur Rank’ is known for in the UK……..

yw 🙂 I omitted the connection to early American movie theaters, called Nickleodeons, because they were odeons (theaters) that cost a nickel. During the Depression (1930s), a kid could cut school and pay a nickle and sit in one watching movies all day.

A childrens’ television channel started in the 90s called Nickleodeon, which now has 3 channels – the original Nickleodeon, which airs cartoons during the day and classic sitcoms at night (calling itself “Nick at Night”), NickToons which shows all cartoons, and NickJr which is aimed at the toddler set.

And I’ll bite, what is ‘J Arthur Rank’ known for in the UK?

Half of what I say is meaningless...

I feel good in a special way, I'm in love and it's a sunny day

BeatlesBible.com earns royalties if you use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes

11 August 2015
4.55pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 5705
244sp_Permalink sp_Print

In truth it’s not heard very often, because J Arthur Rank isn’t a name with any significance to most (younger) people.

I work with someone whose little boy is called Josh Arthur. They gave him a football shirt with J ARTHUR on the back. I didn’t have the heart to point out the rhyming slang, but suspect it would have got a “You wot m8?” response.

But to answer your question, I’ll leave this here: http://www.urbandictionary.com…..m=J+Arthur

The following people thank Joe for this post:

Matt Busby

Can buy me love! Please consider supporting the Beatles Bible on Amazon
Or buy my paperback/ebook! Riding So High – The Beatles and Drugs

Don't miss The Bowie Bible – now live!

11 August 2015
5.40pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members

Anyway Apologies. I feel a right J.Arthur.

IMG_2487.JPGImage Enlarger

The following people thank Wigwam for this post:

Matt Busby
11 August 2015
5.46pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8047
246sp_Permalink sp_Print

Image Enlarger

By the way, since I’m being off-topic anyway, I’d like to be nit-picky and point out that the children’s channel Nickelodeon started in the late ’70s, not the ’90s.

The following people thank Necko for this post:

Matt Busby

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

11 August 2015
6.02pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
247sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
I don’t know why no-one’s taking the Chaplins seriously. It’s not like I made them up much!

I said it was nice of you to go to the trouble to do that……..

Incidentally when Chaplin finally got his Oscar…..(you’ll know all the politics)….he got a 12 minute standing ovation. Longest in Oscars history.

Chaplin, Fred Astair, Mohammed Ali and the Beatles are my entertainment heroes. 

sigh butterfly
11 August 2015
8.04pm
glazball
In my tree.
The Star-Club
Members
Forum Posts: 66
248sp_Permalink sp_Print

As a relatively new (and quiet) member, I’d like to chime in a bit on where the poll stands so far.  Thanks to Ron Nasty and Annadog for doing this.  I’m happy that I did get to vote, seeing as how only 39 members voted!?!?  I thought I’d be a drop in the bucket but 1/39th of a say-so ain’t bad!  I love these kind of polls/lists and the conversation they create.  If it were up to me, we’d all be in one thread, forever saying “You love the Beatles!?  Me too!?  Yep, they were the best.  Agreed.  Oh hi, you love the Beatles!?  Me too!…”

Now that we’re into the top 100, I think we know which songs to expect near the top.  Or at least, we can hope to expect.  There have still been some big surprises for me thus far though.

Let’s start with the bottom of the Beatles barrel:

#219 Run-Out Groove better than Wild Honey Pie ?  That’s just not right.

#193 P.S. I Love You – very surprised to see this so near the bottom.  I’ve always thought of this as the Beatles first endearing and romantic ballad

#169 Maxwell’s Silver Hammer – obviously some kind of calculation error since we all know Abbey Road is perfect 😉

#133 Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da beaten by Baby You’re A Rich Man and Your Mother Should Know ?  I’ve been taken aback lately at the seeming lack of love for OLDx2.  Nothing but a Beatles classic in my book.  And along with Imagine , banned by Clear Channel radio here in the US in the aftermath of 9/11.  Were they worried people might hear a positive message?  Love one another?  I’m digressing…

#106 Good Morning, Good Morning – imo one of John’s best songs, snarky and cynical.  Was sad to see it didn’t make the top 100.  I didn’t rate it a 10 myself, but I’d give it a 9.5 if I could!

All in all, I think the list so far has fallen as I might expect.  I’m very eager to see the rest and hope that whatever ends up as #1 has a clear, strong lead instead of say, a 1 point win.  I have my suspicions but I’ll be happy with whatever it is!

The following people thank glazball for this post:

trcanberra, Wigwam, Matt Busby, Into the Sky with Diamonds, Beatlebug, ewe2
12 August 2015
3.33am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 25090
249sp_Permalink sp_Print

How on earth do you get to banning ‘Ob-La-Di/Da’ in relation to 9/11?

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

12 August 2015
3.45am
C.R.A.
Land of the Rising Sun
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 509

meanmistermustard said

A whole raft of songs were ‘suggested’ to not be played on the air immediately after 9/11.  I think Clear Channel’s intention was to avoid unnecessarily making anyone feel ill-at ease.  Snopes tackled the validity of this and has an extensive article on the subject.

There is something of a cringe factor involved, should a station happen to have been playing “Dancing In The Streets” when thousands have just died (for example) and I think that was Clear Channel’s intent.

They never said “Don’t” play these songs.  It was more like “think of the lyrics” before you air them.

How this applies to Ob La Di; same situation and the radio is saying “Desmond lets the children lend a hand (Arm! Leg!)” or “La-la how the life goes on.”

12 August 2015
4.54am
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
251sp_Permalink sp_Print

C.R.A. said

meanmistermustard said

A whole raft of songs were ‘suggested’ to not be played on the air immediately after 9/11.  I think Clear Channel’s intention was to avoid unnecessarily making anyone feel ill-at ease.  Snopes tackled the validity of this and has an extensive article on the subject.

There is something of a cringe factor involved, should a station happen to have been playing “Dancing In The Streets” when thousands have just died (for example) and I think that was Clear Channel’s intent.

They never said “Don’t” play these songs.  It was more like “think of the lyrics” before you air them.

How this applies to Ob La Di; same situation and the radio is saying “Desmond lets the children lend a hand (Arm! Leg!)” or “La-la how the life goes on.”

I can see their point………. But music can rally morale ……Paul did that song ‘Freedom’ for the New York concert and you can see several of The Who’s songs firing and stoking up some of New York’s finest……

A case in point when there was a tragedy and a song helped…….https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…..ield_(D80)  

C.R.A.
12 August 2015
7.53am
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9827
252sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said

The next results will be posted on the 12th.

waitingImage Enlarger

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

12 August 2015
8.24am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

It’s an @Starr Shine? posting day, and it’s whatever time it is in the day in her part of the USA. She may not even be up yet! They will appear.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

12 August 2015
8.59am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
254sp_Permalink sp_Print

I slept in today, the horror! 😛

Now results! My comments in the spoilers.

=088 (282) The Fool On The Hill
Lady Madonna
=085 (283) Don’t Let Me Down
I Me Mine
Julia
084 (284) I’ve Got A Feeling
=082 (285) Eight Days A Week
Hello, Goodbye
=078 (286) I’m Looking Through You
Let It Be [album version]
She’s Leaving Home
You’re Going To Lose That Girl
=074 (288) And I Love Her
Got To Get You Into My Life
Things We Said Today
Yer Blues
073 (289) I Will
072 (290) I Want You (She’s So Heavy)
069 (291) Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite !
No Reply
Oh! Darling
068 (293) Revolution 1
=066 (294) Get Back [single version]
Let It Be [single version]

=088 (282) The Fool On The Hill – This should be higher
Lady Madonna
=085 (283) Don’t Let Me Down – Bring you upo
I Me Mine – UP up up
Julia – Should be lower
=082 (285) Eight Days A Week – Should be lower
Hello, Goodbye
=078 (286) I’m Looking Through You – Higher
She’s Leaving Home – A little lower
=074 (288) And I Love Her – Higher
Things We Said Today – Higher
Yer Blues
073 (289) I Will
072 (290) I Want You (She’s So Heavy) – So higher
069 (291) Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite ! – Higher
No Reply
Oh! Darling – Lower
068 (293) Revolution 1 – lower

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

Zig, Matt Busby

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

12 August 2015
9.06am
sigh butterfly
Sea of Green (near the Golden Gate)
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4798
255sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wigwam said 

Chaplin, Fred Astair, Mohammed Ali and the Beatles are my entertainment heroes. 

@Wigwam that’s quite an eclectic list there, all admired by me as well. Btw-if interested Ali is included among the current https://www.beatlesbible.com/f…..8/#p186769 clues.

The following people thank sigh butterfly for this post:

Wigwam

You and I have memories
Longer than the road that stretches out ahead

12 August 2015
10.55am
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9827

=074 (288) Yer Blues

Another of my Top 10 eliminated. Six of them still remain.

Now that we are well within the Top 100, all of the songs seem to be getting stronger. This current listing would make for an incredible playlist. The only surprise for me here is that both versions of ‘Let It Be ‘ are now gone. It is such an iconic Beatles song, I thought surely one of the versions would have made it to the Top 20.

If you cup your ear and point it toward Scotland, you can faintly hear the sound of ‘Taps‘ being played for ‘No Reply ‘. Sorry, @meanmistermustard !

The following people thank Zig for this post:

Matt Busby

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

12 August 2015
11.45am
Bongo
Somewhere In Time
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1918

glazball said
#133 Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da beaten by Baby You’re A Rich Man ?  I’ve been taken aback lately at the seeming lack of love for OLDx2.  Nothing but a Beatles classic in my book.  

Pretty damn good Paul song, but Baby You’re A Rich Man is a true Beatles Classica-hard-days-night-ringo-15 But hey,  aren’t most of them!!!!! a-hard-days-night-paul-7

The following people thank Bongo for this post:

Matt Busby, Wigwam

Screen-Shot-2022-10-04-at-7.52.07-PM.png   BEATLES Music gives me Eargasms!  apple01

12 August 2015
11.51am
Matt Busby
Shea Stadium
Members

Joe said
In truth it’s not heard very often, because J Arthur Rank isn’t a name with any significance to most (younger) people.

If I may say without intention of derision or prejudice, this is so typically British 🙂 And I love the example they give:

“I had a great J. Arthur in the shower”. Who is going to casually tell their m8 about their shower adventures? 

In an attempt to take this even further off-topic, I found in Wikipedia that J. Arthur Rank bought Odeon in the 30s. Coincidence? I think not. How nice to have a theater nearby whenever he wanted to watch a movie…or something.

BeatlesBible.com earns royalties if you use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes

12 August 2015
12.24pm
Matt Busby
Shea Stadium
Members
259sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh my, this is starting to get painful. @Zig, I now know it feels to lose a top 10 – fortunately just one so far.

=088 (282) The Fool On The Hill – In my top 30
Lady Madonna – good riddance to it, should have been gone long ago
=085 (283) Don’t Let Me Down – One of my top 10s, gone forever…
I Me Mine
Julia – a top 40
=082 (285) Eight Days A Week
Hello, Goodbye – top 50
=078 (286) I’m Looking Through You
She’s Leaving Home – top 30
=074 (288) And I Love Her
Things We Said Today
Yer Blues
073 (289) I Will
072 (290) I Want You (She’s So Heavy)
069 (291) Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite !
No Reply
Oh! Darling
068 (293) Revolution 1 – top 50

I too thought Let it Be would make it a little farther. Every song from here on out will be really good…well except Lady Madonna . We’re getting close to an 8 average, I’m guessing the top 50 will be about the point where every song averages at least an 8 (the two #66’s average right about 7.5). Interestingly, I ranked exactly 50 songs 8 or higher.

The following people thank Matt Busby for this post:

Zig

12 August 2015
4.23pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 25090
260sp_Permalink sp_Print

Zig said
=074 (288) Yer Blues

Another of my Top 10 eliminated. Six of them still remain.

Now that we are well within the Top 100, all of the songs seem to be getting stronger. This current listing would make for an incredible playlist. The only surprise for me here is that both versions of ‘Let It Be‘ are now gone. It is such an iconic Beatles song, I thought surely one of the versions would have made it to the Top 20.

If you cup your ear and point it toward Scotland, you can faintly hear the sound of ‘Taps‘ being played for ‘No Reply‘. Sorry, @meanmistermustard !

No Reply‘ came ahead of ‘Eight Days A Week‘ @Zig which, if my workings are correct, makes it the top track from ‘Beatles For Sale‘. I would have been gutted if it came before ‘EDAW’. So i am very content. 

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Zig

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 2057
Currently Online: sir walter raleigh
Guest(s) 130
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9827
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8047
AppleScruffJunior: 7585
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6394
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2877
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5542
Newest Members:
flyerk, anime7987, AbridgedPause, Ichigo, Sparky 59
Moderators: Joe: 5705, meanmistermustard: 25090, Ahhh Girl: 22461, Beatlebug: 18214, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5705