Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Live Peace In Toronto 1969
sp_BlogLink Read the original blog post
15 March 2019
5.49pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5015
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I really appreciate that destructive element that Yoko brought. Her energy that she brought to help John destroy The Beatles was much needed and she came along at just the right time.

Don’t Worry Kyoko is a really hard rocking track and I know that John loved it as well.

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

15 March 2019
8.15pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913

Expert Textpert said

Wigwam said

Expert Textpert said

Not laughing at all. If you watch the  video of the performance, what  John and Eric doing during the Yoko pieces is fascinating. They are clearly creating the future. Some of us are only able to live in the past, I guess. 

We can’t live in the past, or the future we only have the present…..But…

….The present now was the future 50 years ago…..So let’s ask, what’s been the long term, or even short term influence of Yoko on Eric Clapton? How has Yoko’s influence shaped his musical career since then?

I can tell you, because on occasion I’m still buying Clapton’s records, that, that  wouldn’t be the case if one scintilla of Yoko’s influence had survived that night in Toronto, or from his Plastic Mac performance with John…….Another event ruined by her …..In my opinion.   

I recall a line, (the only line) that Eric contributed his voice to on the early 80’s  track, ‘The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking’ by Rodger Waters. It contains an attack on Yoko that’s a little too vicious for my tastes……. But it’s indicative to me that knowing this, Eric willingly contributes the lines in bold and a killer solo. 

“I was standing on the leading edge

The Eastern seaboard spread before my eyes

“Jump” said Yoko Ono

“I’m too scared and too good looking” I cried

“Go on,” she says

“Why don’t you give it a try?

Why prolong the agony

All men must die”

……..

Did you understand the music, Yoko

Or was it all in vain?

The bitch said something mystical……So I stepped back on the curb again,”

We’ll never see eye-to-eye on Yoko. We don’t need too. I enjoyed those years and read with interest all the stories surrounding John and her at the time.

I can see her effect on John as a muse….And there are many songs he wrote for her. I take that as a positive.

Just wish she hadn’t clung so hard to John’s coat-tails seemingly insisting on an equal billing, something that she didn’t merit in my opinion. …….And in the process buggaring up otherwise wonderful events.

Each to his/her own. 

There are many artists who WERE influenced by Yoko Ono, such as the B-52s and Sonic Youth. And fans of those bands don’t give a crap about Eric Clapton and think he is a dinosaur who hasn’t made a good album in years.

I did a search on Yoko’s influence…..I’m sure there’s more to be found. And no doubt you’ll let us know soonest….. But in terms of her screeching, clearing throat style of singing her influence seems, (suitably perhaps)…… thin.  

https://ultimateclassicrock.co…..red-songs/

I think you must agree whole generations have largely missed out on her. Why is that? …Misunderstood by an undeserving world? Blinded by prejudice and misogyny? Both those excuses elevate you as someone who gets it when the evil smelling peasants can’t.

Or perhaps you could consider that even for people with a similar intellectual stature to your own, she’s actually not their ‘cup-of-tea’ 

I’m sure there are many people who think of Clapton as a dinosaur…..(interesting you can throw out an insult when it suits)…..But he did contribute to what is many people’s favourite Beatles track. He has striven to master different styles, playing with a vast catalog of distinguished artists….Most not connected to his passion for the blues. Those musical adventures have been repeated from time to time and from each one something learned and taken……With the exception of one. Guess who? Yet you claimed he was influenced by Yoko. Thankfully the evidence of over 50 years shows that he wasn’t

But I came into this because we were talking about The Concert in Toronto. 

When I’d read about this at the time in Beatles Monthly which showed photos of the supergroup rehearsing in their seats on the plane I was so excited. 

Photos emerged  of a bushy John on stage…….A gaunt Eric with the black Les Paul that Paul Kossoff from Free gave him.

I wanted that album so much…….But not enough to waste a single penny on Yoko’s art . 

Each to his own.

15 March 2019
8.37pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410

Wigwam said 

Each to his own.

Women aren’t allowed to do so?

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

50yearslate

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

15 March 2019
9.15pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members

“With the exception of one. Guess who? Yet you claimed he was influenced by Yoko. Thankfully the evidence of over 50 years shows that he wasn’t.”

I claimed who was influenced by Yoko? 

I said Sonic Youth and B-52s were.

And as for your claim that no one was influenced by the “Yoko shriek,” well if you had believed me and looked it up yourself, you would see that the B-52s did the “Yoko shriek” and John himself heard it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com…..aa8a59e756

15 March 2019
9.21pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members

Expert Textpert said
“With the exception of one. Guess who? Yet you claimed he was influenced by Yoko. Thankfully the evidence of over 50 years shows that he wasn’t.”

I claimed who was influenced by Yoko? 

I said Sonic Youth and B-52s were.

And as for your claim that no one was influenced by the “Yoko shriek,” well if you had believed me and looked it up yourself, you would see that the B-52s did the “Yoko shriek” and John himself heard it.

Perhaps you should have bothered to look at my link……

15 March 2019
9.23pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members

https://www.rollingstone.com/m…..on-111164/

More bands influenced by Yoko:

With no choruses, searing outsider-style guitar, vein-popping vocal performances and hypnotic grooves, you can hear entire chunks of the class of 1979 being forged: the Slits, Public Image Limited, Gang of Four, James Chance & the Contortions, Liliput, the Raincoats, the Fall, Teenage Jesus and the Jerks and, most importantly, the B-52s’ “Rock Lobster.”

15 March 2019
9.25pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members

You said the influence was thin.

I never claimed bands adopted her vocal style. 

What is the obsession Yoko haters have with her weird vocal sounds? It’s like you think it’s the only thing she ever did.

15 March 2019
9.30pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members

The Hole Got Fixed said

Wigwam said 

Each to his own.

Women aren’t allowed to do so?

I noted your earlier correction…….Everyone understands ‘each to his own’ (which I cravenly adapted, so as not offend the so easily offended as, ‘his/her own’)…as a common saying that’s not meant to exclude or offend anyone…..Did you study history? Or herstory? or theirstory? 

Too old to change I’m afraid. Don’t take offence…….

15 March 2019
9.35pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators

Expert Textpert said

That is the best live performance of any song I’ve ever seen. Wow! A great performance of a great song.

Wigwam said
I noted your earlier correction…….Everyone understands ‘each to his own’ (which I cravenly, so as not offend the so easily offended as, ‘his/her own’)…as a common saying that’s not meant to exclude or offend anyone…..Did you study history? Or herstory? or theirstory? 

Too old to change I’m afraid. Don’t take offence.

Try to realize it’s all within yourself, no-one else can make you change. 

If you try you can. If you have this pre-conceived barrier on your head about age or whatever of course you’ll never change.

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

Expert Textpert

2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

15 March 2019
9.37pm
Billy Rhythm
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 953

Expert Textpert said

What is the obsession Yoko haters have with her weird vocal sounds? It’s like you think it’s the only thing she ever did.

with all due respect…  it really is “the only thing” that Yoko contributed to the ‘Live Peace In Toronto ‘ record…  for better, or for worse…:-)

15 March 2019
9.43pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators

Wigwam said
I noted your earlier correction…….Everyone understands ‘each to his own’ (which I cravenly adapted, so as not offend the so easily offended as, ‘his/her own’)…as a common saying that’s not meant to exclude or offend anyone…..Did you study history? Or herstory? or theirstory? 

Too old to change I’m afraid. Don’t take offence…….

Sorry for the double post, I somehow missed that that first sentence was directed at mepaul-mccartney-facepalm_gif

It’s literally two extra letters. Each to their own is more common I thought? I rarely hear ‘each to his own’. 

And as for the etymology for history… I do linguistics. ‘history’ comes from the old greek ‘historia ‘ via Latin. 

aus-flag-v-small.png

15 March 2019
9.47pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members

Billy Rhythm said

Expert Textpert said

with all due respect…  it really is “the only thing” that Yoko contributed to the ‘Live Peace In Toronto ‘ record…  for better, or for worse…:-)

Not true. She also wrote her own songs, and co-wrote some of John’s.

15 March 2019
10.04pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members

The Hole Got Fixed said

Expert Textpert said

That is the best live performance of any song I’ve ever seen. Wow! A great performance of a great song.

Wigwam said

I noted your earlier correction…….Everyone understands ‘each to his own’ (which I cravenly, so as not offend the so easily offended as, ‘his/her own’)…as a common saying that’s not meant to exclude or offend anyone…..Did you study history? Or herstory? or theirstory? 

Too old to change I’m afraid. Don’t take offence.

Try to realize it’s all within yourself, no-one else can make you change. 

If you try you can. If you have this pre-conceived barrier on your head about age or whatever of course you’ll never change.

We change all the time……But perhaps less so in our ways and philosophies as we get older. Especially if that change is perceived as being forced by fads of fashion. When that happens we can dig our heels in and buggar the consequences. I also used the expression not-their ‘cup of tea’……There was as much offence meant by me to coffee drinkers in that expression as there is to women when I used the term, ‘to each his own’ 

Don’t sweat over it……

By-the -way ‘history’ does indeed originate from early greek……….. ‘histor’ a ‘wise man’ 

Meanwhile back……..

16 March 2019
3.14pm
StrawberryFields91
Crackerbox Palace
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 824

I greatly admire Yoko as a person and an artist, and agree that she was way ahead of her time. That said, her music is not my thing. I still respect her and her music; I have listened to several of her songs and given her a fair chance.

That doesn’t make me a “Yoko hater” because I appreciate and respect her, I would just rather listen to other music. 

The following people thank StrawberryFields91 for this post:

Expert Textpert, Beatlebug, The Hole Got Fixed, 50yearslate, ScarlettFieldsForever

Isn't he a bit like you and me?

16 March 2019
4.44pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3761

StrawberryFields91 said
I greatly admire Yoko as a person and an artist, and agree that she was way ahead of her time. That said, her music is not my thing. I still respect her and her music; I have listened to several of her songs and given her a fair chance.

That doesn’t make me a “Yoko hater” because I appreciate and respect her, I would just rather listen to other music. 

Now THIS is a sensible take on Yoko. If only people in the sixties had been this level headed, we may have been looking at her in a completely different way now.

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

StrawberryFields91, Expert Textpert

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

16 March 2019
5.35pm
Billy Rhythm
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 953

since first linking the Alan White Rolling Stone interview, I’ve been trying to get more information on the 50th Anniversary gig that he references, but to no avail…  the only info appears to be the excerpt from the interview:

What’s happening at the Iridium?
It’s the 50th anniversary of Live Peace In Toronto . I believe there’s some kind of John Lennon festival going on in New York. They wanted me to do the Iridium and done one of those Q&A kind of things. It’s on the 31st of March at the Iridium on a Sunday night.

interesting to see how this is commemorated…  not sure if Yoko Ono’s able to make it but she’s in the neighbourhood…  Alan’s making an appearance…  wonder what Eric & Klaus are up to?…  in any event, sounds like it’s not gonna be too grandiose…  or, they’re gonna show up during the 11th hour and rehearse on the plane over!…:-)

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 2057
Currently Online: think for myself
Guest(s) 292
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9827
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8047
AppleScruffJunior: 7585
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6394
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2896
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5549
Newest Members:
jordanbarnet, FanDeb, Johnlennonvox, Danielle435, Charly
Moderators: Joe: 5707, meanmistermustard: 25135, Ahhh Girl: 22547, Beatlebug: 18217, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5707