Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Weird things happening with the forum
31 July 2022
4.42am
sigh butterfly
Sea of Green (near the Golden Gate)
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4798
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2901sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Joe   Here in Northern Cali, since this morning its been taking 10-15 seconds for each page to fully load. 

Also in regards to your question about when the YouTube links stopped embedding. At the same time ads started appearing within the posts (usually every third post is followed by an ad now). This is in addition to the ads on the top and the bottom of the page. Perhaps the 2 events are connected?

You and I have memories
Longer than the road that stretches out ahead

1 August 2022
6.28pm
sigh butterfly
Rishikesh
Members
2902sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 Response is a lot better today! Thanks!!

The following people thank sigh butterfly for this post:

Von Bontee

You and I have memories

2 August 2022
5.24pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5531
2903sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nice to see latest forum posts on home page again, too…thanks Joe! john-lennon-salute_gif

The following people thank Von Bontee for this post:

Richard, meanmistermustard, Ron Nasty

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

8 August 2022
6.11am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
2904sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Joe One thing I’ve noticed happening quite a bit since you had to up the ads is, while looking in without logging in, though the same may be happening when logged in, is ads covering up posts…

ads.jpgImage Enlarger

You can’t close the ad, you can only reload the page and hope for the best that it gets rid of it. ‘Tis a tad annoying, and if it is happening more to visitors than those logged in, it might be off-putting to those considering becoming members.

I accept the need for ads between posts but ads covering posts has me going blue-meanieblue-meanieblue-meanie.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

sigh butterfly, Rube

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

8 August 2022
6.25am
sigh butterfly
Rishikesh
Members

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 I’ve encountered that too RN (both logged in and out). Also since the change I have noticed the ads have taken a turn to the political right. Here are a few examples:

Screen-Shot-2022-08-06-at-9.10.42-PM.pngImage Enlarger

Screen-Shot-2022-08-02-at-6.09.40-PM.pngImage Enlarger
Screen-Shot-2022-08-02-at-6.09.27-PM.pngImage Enlarger

Also there are dubious ads offering to hook me up with Ukrainian women (among others).

Screen-Shot-2022-08-02-at-10.03.44-PM.pngImage Enlarger

Screen-Shot-2022-08-02-at-10.56.01-PM.pngImage Enlarger

The following people thank sigh butterfly for this post:

Rube

You and I have memories

8 August 2022
2.44pm
meaigs
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 717
2906sp_Permalink sp_Print

This may not be worth the hassle for you to set up, but I would pay monthly for an ad free version of the site.

My hot take is that after the Beatles split they went down the paths of spiritualism, solipsism, alcoholism, and Paul McCartney

-- Jason Carty, Nothing is Real podcast

9 August 2022
4.24pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 5706
2907sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sorry everyone. I’ve seen ads covering up content too, and it’s not how it should be. I’ll see if I can get it fixed.

Send thoughts and prayers that I win the lottery, so I can make the site permanently ad-free immediately. As it is they have to stay so I can feed my family and pay my mortgage (the non-forum part of the site contains something like 1.8 million words which took many years to put together, so I need to monetise it at this time).

I don’t think a non-ad subscription site is possible at this time, but if the technology allows it I’ll gladly investigate further. The main stumbling point would be having to maintain two different versions of the site with identical content, which can’t be automated at this time. Various tech reasons rule it out.

But yes, nobody likes ads. Thank you if you’re not using an ad-blocker – I really do appreciate it.

The following people thank Joe for this post:

Von Bontee, Richard, sigh butterfly, Rube

Can buy me love! Please consider supporting the Beatles Bible on Amazon
Or buy my paperback/ebook! Riding So High – The Beatles and Drugs

Don't miss The Bowie Bible – now live!

7 September 2022
9.33pm
Let It Bleed
On the pavement thinking ‘bout the government
Decca
Members
Forum Posts: 89
2908sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello all. I was tired of this username, so I wanted to make a new account. Only trouble is, (gee whiz) the verification email never sent. I tried again many times after, but the email still never showed up. So I guess until this problem’s fixed, I’m using this one again.

GET BACK IS HERE!

cool Beatles sites: good ‘ol Alan  nice song-by-song  and of course this place

Tied for most likely to derail a thread 2021 (don’t know how to post images on my sig, mods help)

7 September 2022
10.39pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2909sp_Permalink sp_Print

Afraid having more than one account here is blocked, @Let It Bleed. Should you want to change your username you need to contact @Joe (or one of the mods – with Ahhh Girl and meanmistermustard being the two most active – who’ll pass the request onto Joe) and he’ll consider the request. He doesn’t want a situation where people are changing their username constantly as has happened in the past since it causes confusion about who we’re talking to.

Let It Bleed

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

7 September 2022
10.55pm
Let It Bleed
Decca
Members
2910sp_Permalink sp_Print

I thought Von Bontee had two accounts though.

I’ll make a request to meanmistermustard.

The following people thank Let It Bleed for this post:

Von Bontee

GET BACK IS HERE!

Tied for most likely to derail a thread 2021 (don’t know how to post images on my sig, mods help)

7 September 2022
11.54pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22467

@vonbontee / @Von Bontee had the two accounts Long, Long, Long ago before name changing and multiple account shenanigans began. He never tried to hide that he was behind both accounts. He’s been allowed to post under both names. New people do get confused by it so I don’t think we want a lot of people having double accounts. I hope that’s ok, @Let It Bleed. If you want me to ask Joe if you can change your username, I’m glad to do so.

We have this thread that gives people’s @ name if it is different than their user name. https://www.beatlesbible.com/f…..ion-names/

I wish some of these folks would become active again.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Let It Bleed
7 September 2022
11.56pm
Let It Bleed
Decca
Members
2912sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said
@vonbontee / @Von Bontee had the two accounts Long, Long, Long ago before name changing and multiple account shenanigans began. He never tried to hide that he was behind both accounts. He’s been allowed to post under both names. New people do get confused by it so I don’t think we want a lot of people having double accounts. I hope that’s ok, @Let It Bleed. If you want me to ask Joe if you can change your username, I’m glad to do so.

We have this thread that gives people’s @ name if it is different than their user name. https://www.beatlesbible.com/f…..ion-names/

I’ve already PMed meanmistermustard. Thanks for the offer, though.

The following people thank Let It Bleed for this post:

Ahhh Girl

GET BACK IS HERE!

8 September 2022
12.37am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2913sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Bontee Brothers, as I call them, was a special circumstance way back at the beginning of the forum, @Let It Bleed. He started an account but found he couldn’t use it at work, so set up a work account. It’s why the avatar for one is casual dress and the other work attire. And he wouldn’t get away with it now, but that was way back then, with the Bontees being the longest standing Forumpudlians I think.

A roughly right description, @vonbontee @Von Bontee?

Richard, Let It Bleed, vonbontee

8 September 2022
12.37pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 5706

@Let It Bleed said
Hello all. I was tired of this username, so I wanted to make a new account. Only trouble is, (gee whiz) the verification email never sent. I tried again many times after, but the email still never showed up. So I guess until this problem’s fixed, I’m using this one again. 

Hi. I’m sorry, I only just realised there was a bug in the email system, so nothing has been sent out by this site since sometime in August. It should be fixed now (I just created a test forum account and received the welcome email).

I also hadn’t received anything sent via the contact form, but that also seems to be fixed now.

Apologies if you tried to register or get hold of me. I think it was to do with a change to Google Workspace, which runs the email account for this site – I had to reset the API credentials and other boring things that I barely understand. Hopefully it’ll continue working until the next time the piece of string holding it all together snaps.

paul-mccartney

The following people thank Joe for this post:

Let It Bleed

Can buy me love! Please consider supporting the Beatles Bible on Amazon
Or buy my paperback/ebook! Riding So High – The Beatles and Drugs

Don't miss The Bowie Bible – now live!

8 September 2022
8.47pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's Northern Ontario mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5529
2915sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
The Bontee Brothers, as I call them, was a special circumstance way back at the beginning of the forum, @Let It Bleed. He started an account but found he couldn’t use it at work, so set up a work account. It’s why the avatar for one is casual dress and the other work attire. And he wouldn’t get away with it now, but that was way back then, with the Bontees being the longest standing Forumpudlians I think.

A roughly right description, @vonbontee @Von Bontee?

Yep, that’s basically it.

As far as being the longest-standing forumpudlian (aside from Joe obviously), c64wood’s account predates mine by a few months, and still shows up here every couple of years (posted just months ago).

The following people thank vonbontee for this post:

Richard

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

7 October 2022
10.59pm
meaigs
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 717
2916sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m seeing a bug where there seem to be unread posts, but nothing when I click on it

bug.pngImage Enlarger

My hot take is that after the Beatles split they went down the paths of spiritualism, solipsism, alcoholism, and Paul McCartney

-- Jason Carty, Nothing is Real podcast

26 March 2023
9.22pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's Northern Ontario mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5529
2917sp_Permalink sp_Print

Haha ok this was odd: It’d actually only been about 10-15 seconds since my post, certainly not “-3507” of them (i.e. nearly an hour into the future?)

Screenshot_20230325-222805_Samsung-Internet.jpgImage Enlarger

The following people thank vonbontee for this post:

Ahhh Girl

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

27 March 2023
8.01pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5531

Let It Bleed said
I thought Von Bontee had two accounts though.

That’s true, I’m an exception. Joe has reasoned that, since I created the second (similarly named) account just weeks after my first, out of necessity (temporarily lost initial password), and because I’ve never tried to pretend to be two people, that my accounts be allowed to remain as they’ve been since December of 2009. 

The following people thank Von Bontee for this post:

Neely, Richard, Beatlebug, Rube

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

5 April 2023
4.50am
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18214
2919sp_Permalink sp_Print

Also, it’s a great meme. a-hard-days-night-paul-7

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

Rube

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

19 July 2023
8.30pm
Sea Belt
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1096
2920sp_Permalink sp_Print

I noticed an odd glitch just now.  In the “Unread and recently updated topics” at the bottom of the main page, I see various new posts and when they were posted — 1 hour ago, 2 hours ago, maybe sometimes 2 days ago, etc.  But I’ve never seen a “1 year ago” before!

bb76.JPGImage Enlarger

Now today I find, you have changed your mind

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 2057
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 247
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9827
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8047
AppleScruffJunior: 7585
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6394
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2876
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5542
Newest Members:
Moisturefarmer, flyerk, anime7987, AbridgedPause, Ichigo
Moderators: Joe: 5706, meanmistermustard: 25093, Ahhh Girl: 22467, Beatlebug: 18214, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5706