Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
"What are you listening to right now?" thread
22 July 2023
7.49am
Sea Belt
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1096
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
14161sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oye timbalero CHEPITO!

The following people thank Sea Belt for this post:

Von Bontee

Now today I find, you have changed your mind

23 July 2023
1.33pm
Rube
United Kingdom
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1480
14162sp_Permalink sp_Print

The following people thank Rube for this post:

Richard

Winner of Most Hardcore Beatles Bible Fan 2021

mosthardcore.png

23 July 2023
8.48pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's Northern Ontario mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5530
14163sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sea Belt said
Oye timbalero CHEPITO!

Wow, cool, I had no idea there existed videotaped footage of Santana that early; their Woodstock performances were captured on 16mm film..I’ll have to look at that full performance some day…love to watch multiple drummers/percists work together! 

Now hearing

The following people thank vonbontee for this post:

Sea Belt, Richard

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

24 July 2023
4.35am
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18214
14164sp_Permalink sp_Print

Aladdin Sane is a good one. paul-mccartney-thumb_gif

I’ve been on a bit of a U2 kick lately, and after shopping for U2 t-shirts and coming to the conclusion that I didn’t really like any of them enough to pay $25-$30 for one, I decided to get some fabric paint and make one myself a-hard-days-night-john-6 so whilst I was working on that I was listening to The Joshua Tree and part of The Unforgettable Fire. Now I’m listening to this… again…. it’s so beautiful….

I’ve been on a “Stay (Faraway, So Close!)” kick for a few days now (the live version specifically as it’s imo BETTER a-hard-days-night-john-1) and I learned it last night and it’s just beatlemaniacs_02_gif

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

vonbontee, HartoTarto

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

29 July 2023
9.09pm
vonbontee
Apple rooftop
Members
14165sp_Permalink sp_Print

I mostly know nothing of the Remo Four aside from their Beatles footnote status; but their 1964 cover of Henry Mancini’s popular “Peter Gunn” theme* just made itself known to me on satellite radio, and it’s a pretty great rocking rendition! Apparently it first appeared on the b-side of their “Shimmy Like Kate” single; and I surely have to try and hear that A-side, seeing as how I hold the Beatles’ own Hamburg version of “Kate” in such lofty regard among their recorded works.

(*Speaking of the Star-Club recordings, George or John quote that “Peter Gunn” guitar riff during the second verse of “Little Queenie”)

Screenshot_20230729-155153_SiriusXM.jpgImage Enlarger

Richard

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

29 July 2023
9.32pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5531
14166sp_Permalink sp_Print

…and now the same satellite radio channel just gave me *another* Star-Club highlight, in its equally stunning original version…Arthur Alexander and “Soldier Of Love”

Screenshot_20230729-162549_SiriusXM.jpgImage Enlarger

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

29 July 2023
9.40pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 25094
14167sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

‘Don’t you mean ‘Where Have You Been All My Life’ and not Soldier of Love’ which is from the BBC. I often have to listen to both the original ‘WHYBAML’ and the cover as each are incredible. Ringo’s first wack on the drum is one of my favourite moments in Beatles.

Oh, why not.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Von Bontee, Richard

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

29 July 2023
10.23pm
Von Bontee
Apple rooftop
Members
14168sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you as always mmm, you’re absolutely right. I actually questioned myself before posting that, knowing that the Star-Club featured *one* of John’s AA covers, and that it wasn’t “Anna” or “A Shot of R&B”… And “Soldier” and “Where Have You Been?” both begin fairly identically and so my mind’s ear forgot which one was in fact a BBC performance. 

(Also I’ve drank a few ales today…apple01)

The following people thank Von Bontee for this post:

Richard, Beatlebug

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

30 July 2023
5.18am
HartoTarto
On a floor that needs sweeping
The Star-Club
Members
Forum Posts: 68
14169sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

(Also I’ve drank a few ales today…apple01)

Ooh niceeee

For what I’m listening right now, it’s Alan’s Psychedelic Breakfast by Pink Floyd 

While I’m eating breakfasta-hard-days-night-john-6(even though it’s 12pm where I’m at)

Atom Heart Mother ’s an alright album

A Saucerful of Secrets is still my fav tho (for now. DSoTM of course is a masterpiece and Animals has Pigs (Three Different Ones) )

Haven’t listened to every one of their albums yet, perhaps I should! Idk which one to listen next…a-hard-days-night-paul-7

The following people thank HartoTarto for this post:

Richard, Beatlebug, vonbontee

Maybe the walrus is the friends we made along the way

30 July 2023
10.20pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
14170sp_Permalink sp_Print

I heard Pink Floyd I came running a-hard-days-night-john-3 ahdn_john_08_gif

I’m quite fond of Atom Heart Mother myself. And yes I think you should definitely listen to the rest of Pink Floyd’s albums ahdn_john_08_gif

I don’t know which ones you’ve heard already, but this is a pretty decent flowchart that may help guide you in your album journey:

22742fcznre11.pngImage Enlarger

Meddle and Obscured By Clouds are personal favorites of mine, along with the usual masterpieces that are DSOTM and Wish You Were Here.

Anyway, I’m currently listening to some Kate Bush in honor of her birthday today (the slight Floydy connection being that it was David Gilmour who brought her demos to the attention of record labels).

HartoTarto, Richard

([{BRACKETS!}])
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png

30 July 2023
11.44pm
StrawberrySauce
Penny Lane
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 161
14171sp_Permalink sp_Print

Speaking of Pink Floyd, there is an interesting fact. Pink Floyd equipment was also present on the rooftop on the day of the Rooftop Concert ahdn_paul_01

The following people thank StrawberrySauce for this post:

HartoTarto, Beatlebug, Richard
31 July 2023
2.35am
HartoTarto
On a floor that needs sweeping
The Star-Club
Members
Forum Posts: 68
14172sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don’t know which ones you’ve heard already, but this is a pretty decent flowchart that may help guide you in your album journey:

22742fcznre11.pngImage Enlarger

Ah I have seen these kinds of album guides before! Didn’t think about it that much tho as I was planning to go in chronological order (Gave up on that :P) 

But anyways, thanks for providing it! paul-mccartney-thumb_gif

For albums I already listened to, it’s the first two, AHM, DSotM, Wish You Were Here and Animals. (aka the popular ones)

Also watched ‘Pink Floyd—The Wall’ already so would that count as having listened to The Wall? 

Would listen to Meddle next because of Echoes. Heard it’s like really good

The following people thank HartoTarto for this post:

Richard, Beatlebug

Maybe the walrus is the friends we made along the way

5 August 2023
2.15am
Sea Belt
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1096
14173sp_Permalink sp_Print

According to Pete Townsend in his autobiography (p. 99), this is Paul McCartney ‘s favorite Who song.  Good taste!

Now today I find, you have changed your mind

5 August 2023
1.34pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
14174sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

HartoTarto said

Ah I have seen these kinds of album guides before! Didn’t think about it that much tho as I was planning to go in chronological order (Gave up on that :P) 

Haha. Yeah, chronological is my preferred method of getting into any band, but that was ruined for me when it came to Beatles & Floyd because I grew up hearing some of their albums (the famous ones, basically). With Pink Floyd I think it may be better not to go chronologically since their output is rather… hit or miss…. and you’d be liable to get bored by some of their early work. It took them a little bit to find their footing after Syd left, and while those early post-Syd albums are interesting to the Floyd fan who already knows and likes their more well-known work, it may be off-putting to a newcomer.

For albums I already listened to, it’s the first two, AHM, DSotM, Wish You Were Here and Animals. (aka the popular ones)

Would listen to Meddle next because of Echoes. Heard it’s like really good  

Meddle is GREAT. “Echoes” is amazing and I love the rest of the album too – it’s a nice blend of laid-back jams and atmosphere. If you like Meddle AHM, and DSOTM, I would also check out Obscured By Clouds, another favorite of mine – it’s a little more casual and the songs are short and approachable, but it’s still got lovely atmosphere. It was sort of a side project they took on while they were building up to record DSOTM, so it’s a little more rushed than their other records, but the songs are quite strong in spite of that.

Anyway I’m currently listening to Revolver (mono) to honor its release on this day in 1966. Next up is Pink Floyd’s The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn – it came out exactly 1 year later.

HartoTarto, vonbontee, Richard

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

5 August 2023
6.40pm
vonbontee
Apple rooftop
Members
14175sp_Permalink sp_Print

“Piper” is so fantastic; it’d probably be my single favourite Floyd longplayer if only it included the “Arnold Layne” and “See Emily Play” singles…I mean, obviously Dave Gilmour is a guitar god and all, and the Gilmour/Waters/Wright/Mason line-up gave us (at least) a good half-dozen bona-fide klassix. But “Piper” is the one that really feels like nothing else in their catalog, or anyone’s. (Plus, I can’t deny that I fetishize the year 1967, and all the wondrous sounds of that year)

Now listening to satellite radio, playing one of my absolute favourite bands ever covering “Louie Louie”, followed up by a song that Beatlebug will approve of

Screenshot_20230805-125134_SiriusXM.jpgImage Enlarger

Screenshot_20230805-133659_SiriusXM.jpgImage Enlarger

Richard, Beatlebug

offtopic-1.png

7 August 2023
3.59am
Von Bontee
Apple rooftop
Members
14176sp_Permalink sp_Print

context=spotify%3Aalbum%3A5g1xLAEJfntpT65OcXvNv3

Richard

21 August 2023
2.06am
Richard
North of England
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5464
14177sp_Permalink sp_Print

Homeward Bound – Paul Simon and George Harrison

And in the end

The love you take is equal to the love you make

uk-flag-v-small-3.png

24 August 2023
4.48am
Beatlebug

Moderators
14178sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Released on this day in 1994:

JeffBuckley_Grace.pngImage Enlarger

Jeff Buckley – Grace

I can count on the fingers of one hand the albums I heard for the first time and immediately knew I was going to love them. This was one of them. I am only in the mood for it on rare occasions, but my god is it a thing of beauty.

There’s also a nice through-line as Jeff Buckley was very influenced by the vocalist from one of my favorite artists, Led Zeppelin, and had a strong influence on the vocalists of two of my other favorite artists, Muse and Radiohead. Not to mention David Bowie was also a huge fan. a-hard-days-night-george-4

kelicopter, Von Bontee

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

24 August 2023
7.06am
kelicopter
Sitting in an English Garden
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1253
14179sp_Permalink sp_Print

Is anyone here a fan of The Lemon Twigs? They’re a New York band of 2 brothers, heavily influenced by 60s and 70s artists, and my God can they play?!

I’ve been a fan for years but recently saw them live in London and it’s renewed my obsession with them.

I Wanna Prove To You is an instant classic, but lately I am obsessed with Only A Fool – it’s a prog rock sensation! 

The following people thank kelicopter for this post:

Beatlebug

I think it's great you're going through a phase,

and I'm awfully glad it'll all be over in a couple

of days

funniestpost-3.png 2020

24 August 2023
4.22pm
Von Bontee
Apple rooftop
Members
14180sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beatlebug said
Released on this day in 1994:

Jeff Buckley – Grace

I can count on the fingers of one hand the albums I heard for the first time and immediately knew I was going to love them. This was one of them. I am only in the mood for it on rare occasions, but my god is it a thing of beauty.

I saw Jeff Buckley live in Toronto in ’94, some months before “Grace” was released, just him and his Telecaster. There was a big up-and-coming buzz around him and his first EP, and I was interested mostly because I was a big fan of his late father Tim Buckley’s work, and part of the hype around Jeff was that he had an otherworldly, freaky method of singing, same as his dad. He put on an impressive show, but I never could really get into the “Grace” album. I did like this outtake a lot:

And here’s a taste of Tim Buckley, who developed a uniquely jazzy take on folk music; and whose late 60s/early 70s output is highly recommended

kelicopter, Richard, Sea Belt, Beatlebug

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 2057
Currently Online: sir walter raleigh, Oakwood
Guest(s) 334
Currently Browsing this Page:
3 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9827
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8047
AppleScruffJunior: 7585
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6394
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2878
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5541
Newest Members:
frusso, Souper, Cergyon, Moisturefarmer, flyerk
Moderators: Joe: 5706, meanmistermustard: 25094, Ahhh Girl: 22472, Beatlebug: 18214, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5706