Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
30 January 2012
3.14pm
cool.story.mum.
in the sky with diamonds
The Cavern Club
Members
Forum Posts: 76
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

meanmistermustard said:

And did anyone see the Australian Mens Tennis Final earlier? Flipping heck! Some of the rallys were breath-taking and the shots being made and returned were incredible at times. How both Nadal and Djokovic managed to keep going for 5 hours and 33 minutes is a mystery, especially after Djokovic had battled for just under 5 hours with Andy Murray a couple of days before in one of the semi-finals.

Breathtaking!!!

mm.. I was wondering if anyone here watched it. hueh, I’ve watched it all from 9 to 15 – the longest match I’ve ever participate and one of the best I’ve ever seen. I’d saw Nadal’s with the championhips and five minutes later Djoko was on. I was a bit scared after 5h. when Novak collapsed after hitting the ball… -.- honestly, I don’t like Nadal’s play so it ended good after all. hehe, this is quite cruel, but I was guffawing when they stanted with a pain on their faces at the ceremony while all of the sponsors and everyone else was speaking and saying thank you to everybody.

and good luck with your exam… u. I'm late. :/ so I hope it all went allright 🙂

if you want to be a hero, well, just follow me

30 January 2012
4.10pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's Northern Ontario mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5531
2862sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mm, I don't pay attention to men's tennis. But I do like to catch Maria Sharapova whenever she's playing a match, mostly because I'm entertained by her shrieking after every return!

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

30 January 2012
4.35pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9827
2863sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said:

My very good inear phones have given up all signs of life and the make no longer exists. Trying to find a good pair at a sensible cost that let the music breathe is very difficult.

I use these Sony earbuds when I am mobile (walking, yard work, etc…) and am very happy with the sound quality. They fit over the ear very comfortably and don't pop out of my ears when I pick up the pace.

Sony MDR AS20J – headphones – Over-the-ear, Binaural

I hope that helps.

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

30 January 2012
6.54pm
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 6394
2864sp_Permalink sp_Print

Zig, seeing as how I was wrong about both conference championships, I want to know: New England or New York on Sunday?

(Guys, thanks. The exam went well, but I got two more Wednesday. Thanks for the advice.)

As if it matters how a man falls down.'

'When the fall's all that's left, it matters a great deal.

30 January 2012
7.37pm
Zig
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2865sp_Permalink sp_Print

mr. Sun king coming together said:

Zig, seeing as how I was wrong about both conference championships, I want to know: New England or New York on Sunday?

(Guys, thanks. The exam went well, but I got two more Wednesday. Thanks for the advice.)

I really don't have a favorite among the two teams, but just since you asked…I'll say NY, 20-17.

I'm just hoping it is a good game.

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

30 January 2012
7.52pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 25093
2866sp_Permalink sp_Print

The womans final was painful viewing at times because of the noises being made and sadly it became very one sided.

If Murray can keep improving then the men's tennis and the grand slams this year should be the best it has been for many years, and Federer can still win on his day. However Djokovic appears to be ahead of the competition and it cant be easy for Nadal to get over the loss after having been beaten by Djokovic again.

Thanks Zig for the recommendation when i have to buy the next pair i'll try and remember your comments – hopefully the ones im gettting will be working for a long time.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

30 January 2012
8.31pm
cool.story.mum.
in the sky with diamonds
The Cavern Club
Members
Forum Posts: 76
2867sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said:

If Murray can keep improving then the men's tennis and the grand slams this year should be the best it has been for many years.

🙂 we have murray's fan.? love watch him playing. I'm very glad he's changed his way of reacting on what's happening on the court – especially when he failed. now it's better. because of a new coach I've heard, but it's a topic for a longer discution. waaait, you're from scotland or what.? :p

if you want to be a hero, well, just follow me

30 January 2012
9.45pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2868sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes. Im a very proud Scot.

One of the problems Murray had was when he began to complain about everything, at that moment you knew his mental strength was going and would no doubt go on to lose. Ivan Lendll will not stand for any of that and you could see during the semi-final he had to hold his outbursts in at times and concentrate on the match.

Plus he looked fitter and stronger in all departments.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

31 January 2012
8.24pm
Zig
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2869sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sun king – I know you live in Ottawa. Did you happen to score tix to the NHL All-Star game last Sunday?

31 January 2012
9.01pm
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Members
2870sp_Permalink sp_Print

Unfortunately, no. But, I DO have tickets to the Sens game this Friday, against (correct me if I’m wrong) “Your” Islanders, so I’ll be at the ‘bank soon. Although, I’m shocked at how tell the Sens are doing.

1 February 2012
8.54pm
Zig
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2871sp_Permalink sp_Print

mr. Sun king coming together said:

Unfortunately, no. But, I DO have tickets to the Sens game this Friday, against (correct me if I'm wrong) “Your” Islanders, so I'll be at the 'bank soon. Although, I'm shocked at how tell the Sens are doing.

I'm sure the Sens will do much better against my Islanders than they did last night against Zag's Bruins.

Enjoy the game!a-hard-days-night-john-6

1 February 2012
10.03pm
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4605
2872sp_Permalink sp_Print

This trailer has one of the best uses of La Cucaracha song I've seen in my life.

feature=player_embedded

I *love* the trailer. Can't wait to see the movie.. hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie……

Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower…

Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go.

Beware of Darkness… 

1 February 2012
11.53pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2873sp_Permalink sp_Print

The scenes and news of the football riots in Egypt are horrific but to then read that security for the match between 2 clubs who had a fierce fan rivalry, bordering on hatred for each other, may have been deliberately reduced is deeply disturbing. How on earth anyone can take knives into a football match is beyond my understanding.

2 February 2012
1.58am
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4605
2874sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 I hadn't seen this news.

That's not as weird as you think. There are many stories of violence in soccer game. It was reduced lately because of security checks at the entrance of stadiums: Metal detectors, dogs, you name it. When I used to go to a stadium to watch a soccer match, the rule was “Don't take a belt, and don't wear metal jewelry”.

It's really sad. But sadly, soccer sometimes takes out the worst from a “sports fan”. a-hard-days-night-paul-1

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie……

Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower…

Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go.

Beware of Darkness… 

2 February 2012
8.55am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2875sp_Permalink sp_Print

There has been lots of stories of football riots and less serious fighting and disturbances on and off the pitch over the years. 

In Scotland there is a large police presence at some matches would hate to think what would happen if that was reduced. At the the latest Rangers Aberdeen match away from the ground there was fighting between 'Casuals'. Plus the Auckinleck versues Cumnock games are well known in parts of Scotland for the riots between the two teams.  Its bad enough being around drunken louts during matches, would hate to be at a riot. (Not trying to score points just showing that there are problems in the Scottish game as well as the English and every other country. Nowhere close to the scenes in some other countries and it is better than it was but still much progress needs to be made.)

And thats the thing Mith, a lot of the people who initiate and get involved in the riots are more interested in the fighting than the football.

On another matter why do we have disturbing dreams?

2 February 2012
12.51pm
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Members
2876sp_Permalink sp_Print

Drunk sports fans…… it brings me back to those horrible Vancouver riots. I still can see it. People need to realise that sports (specifically the “National Sports” of hockey, soccer and American football) people get ridiculously invested in their team. I’m guilty as charged – when my football team lost in the playoffs, I got upset. Same when my hometown hockey Sens start sucking. Or, happy as hell when the Sens are rolling. But, I have a novel solution – ban beer at all sports stadiums. Why not? If they don’t get drunk, they don’t feel they could get away with such asinine behaviour.

2 February 2012
2.59pm
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Members
2877sp_Permalink sp_Print

Von Bontee said:

OK, now I have to ask (I've wanted to for awhile): Where did you get this curious Mary Tyler Moore fixation of yours? I would think that most folks your age have never even heard of MTM! (Of course most of them aren't Sinatra/Dean Martin fans either, but that's another matter.)

I can't remember the last time I encountered a TV station that broadcast MTM reruns (the '90s?). (If TVTropolis or whoever started showing them late at night, I'd toss my toque in the air with joy!)

Um, my mother received Season 1 for Christmas maybe 3 years ago, and, my mom made us watch the pilot together. It was that job interview scene where Mary would answer the previous question that sold me to it. And, from there, I preceded to fall in love with Mary, Rhoda Lou and Murray.
As for Sinatra/Dean Martin, that can be traced to my brother's trip to Italy (or at least partially). When he returned, his parents/students meeting played That's Amore, which has a line Pasta Fazoo (meaning zero/zip/nada), which my grandfather has always said. We then got a Dean Martin CD, then about 9 months later I heard That's Amore again, made me listen to the CD and then I found my mother's Best of Sinatra.

2 February 2012
4.11pm
Zig
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2878sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said:

There has been lots of stories of football riots and less serious fighting and disturbances on and off the pitch over the years. 

In Scotland there is a large police presence at some matches would hate to think what would happen if that was reduced. At the the latest Rangers Aberdeen match away from the ground there was fighting between ‘Casuals’. Plus the Auckinleck versues Cumnock games are well known in parts of Scotland for the riots between the two teams.  Its bad enough being around drunken louts during matches, would hate to be at a riot. (Not trying to score points just showing that there are problems in the Scottish game as well as the English and every other country. Nowhere close to the scenes in some other countries and it is better than it was but still much progress needs to be made.)

And thats the thing Mith, a lot of the people who initiate and get involved in the riots are more interested in the fighting than the football.

On another matter why do we have disturbing dreams?

If you are asking on a psychological level, I can't help you. On a more practical level, part of the answer lies in your own post. Violence, absurdity and general mayhem at an event that should be a lot of fun to attend…

I'm amazed we aren't all fitted for straight jackets.a-hard-days-night-john-5

2 February 2012
6.56pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2879sp_Permalink sp_Print

A lot of people can have a drink, go and be deeply affected by whether or not their sports team win or lose, and remain non-violent. And a lot of rioters do so whilst not being under the influence of alcohol. A lot of those who do fight at sports events are more interested in the violence and beating up the opposition than sporting their team and to hell with whoever gets in the way.

It may not be violence but a problem currently being encountered by Celtic and Rangers Football Clubs is sectarian chanting. Despite pleas by the club managers, chairmen, other fans, players; fines and supporter bans given out by UEFA and the threat of further sanctions; and a change in the law; the same small groups continue to sing sectarian songs. At one of the Celtic away matches in Europe some 'fans' even put up a banner effectively telling UFEA to get lost after they had fined Celtic. I dont believe that true fans would continue these actions.

2 February 2012
8.45pm
Zig
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2880sp_Permalink sp_Print

I could sit for hours and watch the avatars of JET! and GniknuS.

a-hard-days-night-george-5Totally relaxing…a-hard-days-night-george-5

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 2057
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 211
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9827
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8047
AppleScruffJunior: 7585
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6394
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2877
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5542
Newest Members:
Cergyon, Moisturefarmer, flyerk, anime7987, AbridgedPause
Moderators: Joe: 5706, meanmistermustard: 25093, Ahhh Girl: 22467, Beatlebug: 18214, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5706