Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The All-Purpose Getting-To-Know-BBers Questions Thread
1 May 2020
12.18pm
50yearslate
Playing on the roofs again
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8759
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5981sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jules said

50yearslate said

What you’re describing sounds pretty Hufflepuffish to me. Didn’t go behind his teammates’ back– Hufflepuff. Listened to the ideas of others– Hufflepuff. Wouldn’t betray you– Hufflepuff. 

Maybe, but Ringo is definitely the Hufflepuff leader and the second closest thing to a “warmth” attitude would be Gryffindora-hard-days-night-paul-7a-hard-days-night-paul-7Also Paul had original ideas and he would sometimes try to impose on other people (kindly, but with the ultimate intent of things going his way).

But why does there have to be one in each house? Can’t they both be Hufflepuffs?

The following people thank 50yearslate for this post:

Jules

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

1 May 2020
12.19pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18215
5982sp_Permalink sp_Print

BECAUSE B a l a n c e a-hard-days-night-george-4

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, Jules

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

1 May 2020
12.43pm
lovelyritametermaid
You can meet me after heavy rain has fallen
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1445
5983sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beatlebug said

Oh shush ya Rising Libra a-hard-days-night-paul-11a-hard-days-night-george-10

The following people thank lovelyritametermaid for this post:

Beatlebug, Beatlebug

"....When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind...." 

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

1 May 2020
12.47pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
5984sp_Permalink sp_Print

lovelyritametermaid said

Oh shush ya Rising Libra a-hard-days-night-paul-11a-hard-days-night-george-10  

a-hard-days-night-john-6a-hard-days-night-john-6a-hard-days-night-john-6

I was hoping you’d catch that ahdn_george_06 I admit I play it up a little bit, but it does stem from an honest inclination.

lovelyritametermaid

([{BRACKETS!}])
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png

1 May 2020
2.32pm
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 690

Beatlebug said

Precisely

Otherwise I would put them all in Ravenclaw as a punishment for their awful haircuts.

the watusi

the twist

1 May 2020
2.50pm
lovelyritametermaid
Candlestick Park
Members
5986sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jules said

Beatlebug said

Precisely

Otherwise I would put them all in Ravenclaw as a punishment for their awful haircuts.

The only Beatles haircut that I have ever thought as “awful” was Paul McCartney ‘s Wings-era mullet 

*shudders* 

Jules, Beatlebug, Beatlebug, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

1 May 2020
2.58pm
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5862
5987sp_Permalink sp_Print

lovelyritametermaid said

Jules said

Beatlebug said

Precisely

The only Beatles haircut that I have ever thought as “awful” was Paul McCartney ‘s Wings-era mullet 

*shudders* 

Perm George and Mullet Paul are fantastic looks. 

The following people thank sir walter raleigh for this post:

Jules, Beatlebug, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

1 May 2020
3.11pm
lovelyritametermaid
Candlestick Park
Members
5988sp_Permalink sp_Print

sir walter raleigh said

lovelyritametermaid said

Jules said

Beatlebug said

Precisely

*shudders* 

Perm George and Mullet Paul are fantastic looks. 

I have no quarrel with Perm George

George Harrison has the best hair of the Beatles period.  The man has never had a bad hairstyle– his hair is just *chef’s kiss* gorgeous at all timesheart

And I admit Paul’s mullet looked better once it was more grown out, but when he first got it *shudders* 

This Date in Music History: April 16Image Enlarger

The man looks like a young, Liverpudlian Joe Exotic. 

There’s also this unfortunate style he had going on

the worst paul mccartney haircut iImage Enlarger

Jules, The Hole Got Fixed, Beatlebug, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

||She/They ||

1 May 2020
3.17pm
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5862
5989sp_Permalink sp_Print

ringoImage Enlarger

I’m pretty sure I know who’s got the best hair. But George has had some killer styles as well. I’ve tried to copy them all

The following people thank sir walter raleigh for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, lovelyritametermaid, Jules, The Hole Got Fixed, The Hole Got Fixed, The Hole Got Fixed, The Hole Got Fixed, The Hole Got Fixed, The Hole Got Fixed, The Hole Got Fixed, The Hole Got Fixed, WeepingAtlasCedars

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

1 May 2020
3.46pm
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members
5990sp_Permalink sp_Print

stay-on-topic

Wait , what was the topic again?

the watusi

the twist

1 May 2020
4.10pm
lovelyritametermaid
Candlestick Park
Members
5991sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jules said
stay-on-topic

Getting to know BBers through questions

I’ll help:

What is y’alls favorite book and why? 

Jules

||She/They ||

1 May 2020
4.46pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3761
5992sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hmmmm… favourite book.. If we’re talking fiction, then The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen and Norwegian Wood  by Haruki Murakami would have to be my top three, and I think overall it would have to be the first one. I just love how subversive it is (without coming across as trying to be edgy for its own sake), and I also particularly love how it fuses that slight element of the supernatural into the story without it being overpowering. If I was shocked reading it in 2017, or whenever it was, then I can’t imagine what it must have been like reading it in the 1890s. 

Non-fiction wise, David Byrne’s How Music Works is always a great read that will give you a new appreciation for music as an art form, and in terms of philosophy I’ve not read much that manages to be as insightful and entertaining as Slavoj Žizek’s Violence

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

1 May 2020
5.06pm
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members

lovelyritametermaid said

Jules said
stay-on-topic

Getting to know BBers through questions

I’ll help:

What is y’alls favorite book and why? 

I have minus zero reading experience. I’ve been in movies for the past six years and in music for the past two so maybe one day I’ll get into books. Other than that every book (over 100 pages) I’ve ever read has been A) fiction, and B) a movie I saw previously.

So that means the Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings books, Stephen Kings’ Misery , The Green Mile, Carrie and The Shining. I would pick Carrie out of the bunch.

I read To Kill a Mockingbird, in English actually. I wanted to make a gift to a friend for his birthday so I bought that book, read it, and then I gave it to him. That book was fantastic (but it was almost identical to the movie so there wasn’t much DISCOVERY when I read it you know). Last month I finished The Great Gatsby and it was a great read. A couple of years ago now I’m remembering I read from front to back The Godfather & Dances with Wolves that I took from an old collection my father had (both actually took me a long time to finish).

Finally 1984 & Fahrenheit 451, after I got into old sci-fi films.

So you see all of them I saw as films first and I just wanted to compare them to their source material, so it was very much like a comparison thing more than actually reading for pleasure.

The only book I ever read that wasn’t a movie was Martian Chronicles out of a recommendation and I liked it enough so I started to turn it into screenplay I never finished. Maybe one day I’ll follow it up.

Other than that a famous Argentine book called Rayuela (“Hopscotch” in English), also a recommendation, and I thought it was fairly good.

I can’t really say any are my favourite because I don’t have anything to compare them too. Those are ALL the books I’ve ever read.

If I had to pick favourites maybe it would be

The Great Gatsby: I really like how he describes in first person the 1920s as the ultimate celebration decade and how much depth the characters have.

Martian Chronicles, which is a weird-ass book that encapsulates a lot of science fiction imagination that is hard to find at that level of originality. It plays with consciousness and the soul in a way not unlike 2001: A Space Odyssey which is one of my favourite movies or

To Kill a Mockingbird, a film I love as well, Atticus Finch is a role model in every sense of the word and the book is filled with personal advice and morals everyone should hear and learn from. It is a story that has been told a million times when it comes to racism in general but it is a milestone with a lot of heart, especially with the children’s point of view.

I also started War & Peace because I have an old copy but it’s a very long book so I left it there. Not that it was boring but I need to find a moment in my life where I don’t have much going on to resume reading. Also my mother has been bugging me to read Angela’s Ashes so that will probably be my next (even tho I don’t know when will that be).

The following people thank Jules for this post:

QuarryMan, Beatlebug

the watusi

the twist

1 May 2020
5.37pm
lovelyritametermaid
Candlestick Park
Members
5994sp_Permalink sp_Print

QuarryMan said
Hmmmm… favourite book.. If we’re talking fiction, then The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen and Norwegian Wood  by Haruki Murakami would have to be my top three, and I think overall it would have to be the first one. I just love how subversive it is (without coming across as trying to be edgy for its own sake), and I also particularly love how it fuses that slight element of the supernatural into the story without it being overpowering. If I was shocked reading it in 2017, or whenever it was, then I can’t imagine what it must have been like reading it in the 1890s. 

Non-fiction wise, David Byrne’s How Music Works is always a great read that will give you a new appreciation for music as an art form, and in terms of philosophy I’ve not read much that manages to be as insightful and entertaining as Slavoj Žizek’s Violence

love The Picture of Dorian Gray and Pride and Prejudice both beatlemaniacs_02_gif

I’ll have to add Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami to my reading list– it sure sounds like an interesting read. And of course I have to read How Music Works as well, given that I’m a huge Talking Heads and David Byrne fan. 

Jules said

I read To Kill a Mockingbird, in English actually. I wanted to make a gift to a friend for his birthday so I bought that book, read it, and then I gave it to him. That book was fantastic (but it was almost identical to the movie so there wasn’t much DISCOVERY when I read it you know)

I love To Kill a Mockingbird as well. Atticus Finch is one of my favorite fictional characters of all time– though I was never able to finish the movie. Not because I found it bad (b/c it was quite good), it’s just that every time I started to watch it I ended up getting busy and never returned to it. 

My favorite thing about TKAM, though, is how Lee manages to sneak in the fact that Scout and Jem have a gay uncle– it’s not groundbreaking but I appreciate it. 

To answer my own question, my favorite read of all time would have to be Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Close seconds would have to be Uprooted by Naomi Novik and Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, though I’m always looking for other great reads to grab my attention (so recommendations are welcome ahdn_john_08_gif). 

QuarryMan, Jules

||She/They ||

1 May 2020
6.05pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3761
5995sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great taste, both of yas john-lennon-salute_gifGatsby is another great one, the symbolism throughout is so brilliant, particularly the eyes of T.J. Eckleburg, which always unnerve me, even just to think about. I actually have copies of Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451, the latter being a friend’s copy I borrowed in exchange for my copy of The Complete Works of Oscar Wilde, but I’ve never gotten round to reading them. Glancing over at my bedside pile of books, there are currently 14 either in progress or waiting to be read, so unfortunately it’ll probably be a while before I get to either of them. 

Any Beatlefan will probably enjoy Norwegian Wood , if just for the references to Beatles songs, @lovelyritametermaid , but it does also have a very moving story and some wonderfully rich description, especially of the suburbs of Tokyo. I believe one of the reviewer comments in my copy describes Murakami’s style as ‘gossamer’, which I think puts it beautifully. However, I will say that, as others have pointed out on here in the past, Murakami’s way of describing female characters does tend to focus on their physical appearance in a way that isn’t always comfortable, but luckily the characters themselves are always interesting enough to not make it too much of a detriment. 

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

Jules, lovelyritametermaid

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

1 May 2020
6.17pm
50yearslate
Playing on the roofs again
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8759
5996sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jules said

Beatlebug said

Precisely

Punishment?!?!?!? What do you have against Ravenclaw (besides the fact a good number of Ravenclaws, myself included, have a tendency to be pedantic a******s)?

The following people thank 50yearslate for this post:

Jules, Beatlebug

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

1 May 2020
6.25pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
5997sp_Permalink sp_Print

My favourite book…

It’s probably a book.from when I was 5. It got me interested in maths.

It’s called The Number Devil, and it was a beautifully written book that made maths fun and interesting.

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, QuarryMan, Jules

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

1 May 2020
7.23pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
5998sp_Permalink sp_Print

50yearslate said

Jules said

Beatlebug said

Precisely

Punishment?!?!?!? What do you have against Ravenclaw (besides the fact a good number of Ravenclaws, myself included, have a tendency to be pedantic a******s)?

People say Gryffindors are the house of newbies but I see far more professed Ravenclaws on da interwebs. Who all swarm and join team Mythic on Pokmeon Go

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

Jules

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

1 May 2020
10.10pm
Beatlebug

Moderators

Favorite book? Well… it’s a toss-up between The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (absolutely magical setting, I want to live there, and a thrilling garden labyrinth of a book to wander through whilst slurping dark chocolate), Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass, and The Secret Garden. 1984 is a contender as well, but I’ve gotta be in a certain mood to read it because it is h e a v y.

(Don’t @tt me, my taste in literature has hardly advanced beyond middle school. ahdn_paul_01)

Nonfiction would have to be
Understanding Perennials by William Cullina (it’s obscure, I know, but he explains practical botany in a way that’s entertaining and useful)
– or the one volume of A History of US by Joy Hakim that I have* (it’s about the Revolution /inception of the country), which is a very balanced and lucid American history primer which is directed toward children but it’s not too simplistic for adults to read. I just think it’s very well-written and the volume I have also contains the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and Thomas Jefferson’s Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom (which I love to read just because Jefferson was such a superlative writer), which is useful.

*I really should check out the rest of the series, ostensibly for my kid sister but I wouldn’t be above reading it myself ahdn_john_08_gif

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

2 May 2020
8.59am
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3031
6000sp_Permalink sp_Print

In order, Lord of the Rings, Cryptonomicon and Neverwhere. But I haven’t actually read books for a good while since the stroke and I’m finding it a lot easier to listen to audiobooks now so I guess I’ll have to listen to them instead of read. ahdn_paul_01

The following people thank ewe2 for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, vonbontee, Jules, QuarryMan

I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe.  This has been true for 2016 & 2017 Sig-Badge.png but I may have to get more specific in the future.

aus-flag-v-small.png

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 2057
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 278
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9827
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8047
AppleScruffJunior: 7585
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6394
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2886
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5542
Newest Members:
Ubexter, jacksonenowlin@gmail.com, extra.texture, Johnny Moondogs, rubber soul girl
Moderators: Joe: 5707, meanmistermustard: 25108, Ahhh Girl: 22502, Beatlebug: 18215, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5707