Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
I read the news today (oh boy) - Current world events
8 September 2022
6.39pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3721sp_Permalink sp_Print

The BBC have just broken the news that Buckingham Palace have announced that Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II died peacefully this afternoon at Balmoral.

BP1.jpgImage Enlarger

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

KyleKartan

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

8 September 2022
6.42pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22508
3722sp_Permalink sp_Print

Gut wrenching. The world just got a little darker. I’m crying. The screen is blurry.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Rube, vonbontee, KyleKartan
8 September 2022
6.47pm
Rube
United Kingdom
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1480

It’s very sad news. I always admired her and remember making an 80th Birthday card by drawing a picture based on a photograph taken when she was 7 years old. 3 months later, I received a letter from a lady-in-waiting saying that Her Majesty liked my picture very much. The letter remains one of my most treasured possessions.  

RIP HRH Queen Elizabeth

1926-2022

The following people thank Rube for this post:

Richard, Pennys Poppies, Ahhh Girl, vonbontee, KyleKartan

Winner of Most Hardcore Beatles Bible Fan 2021

mosthardcore.png

8 September 2022
9.07pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's Northern Ontario mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5537
3724sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not a monarchist at all, but I’m sad about this. She’s been around my whole life; I first got to know her on the obverse of coins, then illustrated on paper currency, then stamps; and then I finally got to see a photograph of her on the wall when I began school. In fifth grade, all us school kids were given a silver colored plastic commemorative coin for the silver jubilee – in comparison to the huge copper coronation medallion that mombontee’s kindergarten class received in 1953. I still own both artifacts, as well as my old kid hood coin-collection, full of dozens of old Canadian pennies/nickels/quarters and eventually loonies and twonies, all of em with differing images of Her Majesty as she ages through the decades.

I’m gonna miss her, she was a pretty nice girl.

The following people thank vonbontee for this post:

Richard, KyleKartan, Rube

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

8 September 2022
10.42pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
3725sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said
I imagine Paul will be really sad when Her Majesty dies.

paul-and-queen4.PNGImage Enlarger

blue.PNGImage Enlarger

gold.PNGImage Enlarger

paul-and-queen.jpgImage Enlarger

paul-and-queen3.jpgImage Enlarger

essay.PNGImage Enlarger

paul-to-queen.PNGImage Enlarger

and from dear Ringo

ringo-to-queen.PNGImage Enlarger

Richard, KyleKartan, Von Bontee, Rube
9 September 2022
10.19am
KyleKartan
Germany
Ed Sullivan Show
Members
Forum Posts: 431
3726sp_Permalink sp_Print

As a german I still relate to your lost in the UK! I am 35 and the queen was always THE QUEEN during my whole life. There has not been anyone else. I’ve admired her for a long time and was hoping she would carry on longer after her Husbands death. I was shocked yesterday evening when I read the push news on my mobile. Immidiaty went to my girlfriend and told her who was shocked too. 

My condolances and grief goes to everyone of you! She was a one of a kind person and so great and important. I really hope Charles will carry her legacy in a respectfull and good way. 

I’ll feel sad for a time listening to Penny Lane ‘s “in his pocket is portait of the queen” or “Her Majesty is a pretty nice girl…”

The following people thank KyleKartan for this post:

Ahhh Girl, Richard, Von Bontee, Rube

For the Benefit of Mr. Kyle

10 September 2022
12.45pm
Timothy
Nutopia
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2192

If I had a belly full of wine I would have told The Queen I loved her a lot. RIP, Elizabeth II. Been a mainstay of British and global life for generations and had seen and done so much. I think King Charles will be embraced more than people expect especially if he maintains the non political approach of his mother. I think he will. 

The following people thank Timothy for this post:

Richard, Rube, KyleKartan

1.The Beatles 2.Sgt. Pepper 3.Abbey Road 4.Magical Mystery Tour 5.Rubber Soul 6.Revolver 7.Help! 8.Let It Be
9.A Hard Day’s Night 10.Please Please Me 11.Beatles For Sale 12.With The Beatles 13.Yellow Submarine

Most Avid John Fan 2020 and 2021: john.png john.png

10 September 2022
5.31pm
Sky999
On The Hill
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2059

I was 7 years old when Diana died. From then I became interested in her, her boys, and eventually the Queen. The Queen had a very fascinating life; furthermore,  she reminded me of my own grandmother. My grandmother was 2 years younger than the Queen. That generation was very strong, hard working, and never gave up. Hell the Queen just appointed a new Prime Minister two days before her death. 

God Save The Queen 

The following people thank Sky999 for this post:

Richard, Rube, vonbontee, KyleKartan
11 September 2022
11.21am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Her Majesty ‘s long final journey to London has begun…

the-final-journey.jpgImage Enlarger

She more than lived up to her words on her 21st birthday…

Rube, vonbontee, Richard, Ahhh Girl, KyleKartan

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

14 October 2022
10.51am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3730sp_Permalink sp_Print

The turmoil around the UK Government and it’s recent mini-budget continues, with the Chancellor (finance minister) flying back early from the IMF meeting in Washington amid rumours that many of the unfunded tax cuts that were announced in the mini-budget are about to be reversed.

With the markets in turmoil and the Tory party poll figures in freefall it is difficult to think of a British Prime Minister who has had a worst start than Liz Truss (with her personal poll ratings being the worst of any PM in decades), and there are suggestions that she and her Chancellor cannot survive the fallout of their tax choices.

Though it would be difficult for them to again change party leader without a General Election, and a General Election in these circumstances could see the Tory party wiped out (some of their poll ratings would see them reduced to just 54 seats out of 650, after having an 80 seat majority in the 2019 election).

The markets have rallied a little based on the expectation that many, if not all, of the tax cuts are about to be reversed, but if the PM and Chancellor stick to the line they were holding until yesterday that they would not reverse any more of their tax cuts (they have already had to U-turn on their proposal to remove the highest rate of tax) then who knows what happens.

The Chancellor’s plane is just about to land and Liz Truss has cancelled her engagements for talks, so we could be in for an interesting and fast-moving day or two in UK politics.

14 October 2022
12.36pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3731sp_Permalink sp_Print

UK Prime Minister Liz Truss has sacked Chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng. An obvious U-turn on tax cuts is on the way, but it is difficult to see how she distances herself from the policies though as he was enacting the financial approach that won her the recent Tory leadership election and now seems to be switching to the financial approach argued for by her rival — former Chancellor Rishi Sunak — in the leadership election, who argued throughout the campaign that her financial policies would be the disaster they have proved to be. It is difficult to see how she continues when the arguments she won the leadership on are having to be discarded within weeks.

20 October 2022
3.08pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3732sp_Permalink sp_Print

So, after just 44 days in office — ten of which saw a halt to politics for the period of national mourning following the death of HM The Queen — Liz Truss has resigned and will have had the shortest tenue of any UK Prime Minister ever. (The previous holder of that title was George Canning in 1827 who served for 119 days before dropping dead.)

She crashed the UK economy, sending mortgage and interest rates up, increasing the cost of Government borrowing and seeing the £ at its lowest against the $ ever. She gained the accolade of having the lowest approval rating of any UK party leader in modern history at -70, with Labour having between 30% and 35% lead in recent polls. Her first Chancellor (finance minister) was sacked resigned on Friday. Her first Home Secretary (interior minister) was sacked resigned yesterday. There were scenes of disgrace in Parliament last night as Tory MPs were bullied to vote against a Labour motion on banning fracking, with reports of some MPs being manhandled into the No lobby.

Her time as Prime Minister has been a complete disaster for the country, and an embarrassment.

The Conservative Party aim to somehow have a new leader in place by next Friday which will include the party membership! Exactly how this will be done hasn’t been revealed yet. There are rumours that Boris is taking soundings about standing, but that would surely be suicide were they to go that route.

So, soon we will have our third Prime Minister this year, and the question of democratic legitimacy increasingly looms its head. While we may have a Parliamentary democracy, where we vote for parties rather than a leader, the votes that parties nearly always depend on who the party leader is and the vision they offer.

20 October 2022
10.11pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 25114
3733sp_Permalink sp_Print

It’s quite an achievement to be Prime Minister for less time than it takes to run to be Prime Minister in the leadership race.

Boris is one of the favourites to return, which opens the possibility that he marches in only to be marched back out following the findings of the investigation into whether he misled Parliament. 

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

22 October 2022
2.07am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
3734sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 a-hard-days-night-ringo-8

Nobody told me there’d be days like these

Strange days indeed

Strange days indeed

Richard, sir walter raleigh, Beatlebug
22 October 2022
11.00pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

It’s not strange, it’s where you go when led by MP’s only interested in self-preservation, self-promotion and self-service. The Conservatives are not interested in serving the public as they should be, it’s whatever suits them to stay in power. It’s why they are trying to change so many of the rules and guidelines so there is less scrutiny an accountability on what is happening behind the scenes and what they are doing with their mates to line their own pockets.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

24 October 2022
8.32am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3736sp_Permalink sp_Print

Boris has withdrawn himself, Rishi will be the new PM.

3 January 2023
5.35am
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4141
3737sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was sad to watch the last update of The Papers on the BBC yesterday evening. It’s kept me company for the past few years while I do work. Will look forward to whatever iteration it appears as next. 

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit 

3 January 2023
5.44am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3738sp_Permalink sp_Print

Unfortunately BBC News is seeing much of its UK-specific content being dumped, @Little Piggy Dragonguy (good to see you), and The Papers is one of many casualties. They want to rely more on their World News channel rather than the domestic channel that UK license pay for. A disgrace that makes me sad.

Richard

3 January 2023
5.32pm
Neely
Memphis, Tennessee
Ed Sullivan Show
Members
Forum Posts: 454
3739sp_Permalink sp_Print

I typed in “memphis news” into google to see what’s going on around here and the top news stories are about a rapper of Three 6 Mafia died in her own home in Whitehaven. And then another rapper signed under another rapper named “Gucci Mane” got busted for murder. then people always be like “I love memphis because blues, rock n roll, sun records, ect.” We simply don’t have that anymore. Memphis In May hasn’t been good (aside from the BBQ) since the 90s (according to my step-dad because i wasn’t born yet. Take what he said with a grain of salt though… his favourite genre is nu metal).  We were gonna have the Foo Fighters last year but then Taylor Hawkins died. We had Weezer.. but weezer sucks now days.

I now realize that I type with a memphis accent.

The following people thank Neely for this post:

Beatlebug
5 January 2023
8.46am
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4141
3740sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
Unfortunately BBC News is seeing much of its UK-specific content being dumped, @Little Piggy Dragonguy (good to see you), and The Papers is one of many casualties. They want to rely more on their World News channel rather than the domestic channel that UK license pay for. A disgrace that makes me sad.

It truly is a shame

The following people thank Little Piggy Dragonguy for this post:

Richard

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit 

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 2057
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 192
Currently Browsing this Page:
2 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9827
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8047
AppleScruffJunior: 7585
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6394
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2886
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5542
Newest Members:
think for myself, Ubexter, jacksonenowlin@gmail.com, extra.texture, Johnny Moondogs
Moderators: Joe: 5707, meanmistermustard: 25114, Ahhh Girl: 22508, Beatlebug: 18215, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5707