Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
I read the news today (oh boy) - Current world events
10 April 2021
5.44pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3601sp_Permalink sp_Print

QuarryMan said

Dark Overlord said
To add another layer of irony, electric cars aren’t really any better for the environment than gas guzzlers since all you’re doing is switching from a gas pump to a power plant and it takes a lot of rare earth metals to make those batteries.

While I’m personally not a huge fan of cars in general and would love to see the world remodel our infrastructure more along the lines of public transit wherever it’s viable, I don’t think it’s necessarily true that electric cars aren’t any better for the environment than those that use petrol – they produce much less air and noise pollution, they produce around 30% less in carbon emissions, and the problem of the batteries is becoming less significant as battery technology improves.

On the whole, though, I’m in agreement that the idea that we can save the environment by all just switching to electric cars is silly – a transition needs to be accompanied by the pedestrianisation of urban spaces, construction of larger rail networks with high speed capacity, and properly funded public transport easily accessible to the vast majority of the population. In the long run such a system would take up much less space, and use fewer resources and less energy, illustrated by this picture of a hundred people in cars, in a bus or on bikes. 

Car, bus, bicycle : taking up space in the same place - Core77Image Enlarger

It should also be noted that much of the US is behind other countries in its transition to renewable energy from fossil fuels, and the more the energy infrastructure of a country moves toward renewables for its electricity generation, the lower the carbon cost of that electricity generation.

While there are States that are doing well with renewables with the use of State law, it’ll take federal mandates and laws to turn the US around from its reliance on fossil fuel energy consumption, or businesses feeling they can’t wait for Government because of public opinion, and as the energy generation and consumption model moves toward becoming more renewable based then the carbon footprint comes down.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, Dark Overlord, QuarryMan

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

11 April 2021
1.33pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
3602sp_Permalink sp_Print

While i mostly agree, most businesses only care about profit so unless renewable energy is a comparable price or cheaper than fossil fuels, they’ll hire companies like PragerU to mislead as many people as possible into believing that our current system is good for the environment and the environmentalists are actually the ones hurting the environment.

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

13 April 2021
9.39am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3761
3603sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dark Overlord said

While i mostly agree, most businesses only care about profit so unless renewable energy is a comparable price or cheaper than fossil fuels, they’ll hire companies like PragerU to mislead as many people as possible into believing that our current system is good for the environment and the environmentalists are actually the ones hurting the environment.

Hence why we can’t rely on the free market to save the environment, because as you say, profit-seeking companies will only switch to more renewable practices if it’s profitable for them to do so. I can see the argument in favour of using some market incentives for this, like a carbon tax, but that can only do so much on its own. 

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

Vera Chuck and Dave

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

20 April 2021
2.47pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Brace yourself America, the jury in the trial of Derek Chauvin for the murder of George Floyd have a verdict. The jury will be called back to the courtroom to deliver it in the next hour.

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

20 April 2021
2.57pm
WeepingAtlasCedars
Gelzelha, The Void
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2699
3605sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8George Floyd, you mean?

The following people thank WeepingAtlasCedars for this post:

Ron Nasty

"WeepyC came into the fray as the premier Jimmy Page fan, and will remain." - sir walter raleigh

2016 & 2017: Username-Badge.png

2020: Creative-Contribution-2020.pngFunniest-Post-2020.pngMost-Likely-to-Cheer-Somebody-Up-in-a-Bad-Mood-2020.png

20 April 2021
3.12pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3606sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks, corrected. Typing too fast so I could make the shop and get back in time for the verdict.

20 April 2021
4.14pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Derek Chauvin guilty on all 3 charges, the most serious being second-degree murder.

An American court has managed to convict a policeman. The first case in Minnesota where a white policeman has been convicted of the murder a black man.

Chauvin has had his bail revoked and is on his way to jail.

JUSTICE!

The Hole Got Fixed, Von Bontee, kelicopter, QuarryMan, WeepingAtlasCedars, Vera Chuck and Dave

20 April 2021
5.59pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
3608sp_Permalink sp_Print

A good news story is hard to come by these days, but this is surely one of the best of the year. 

Not only some justice, but some progress, too. beatlemaniacs_02_gif May I never need to hear his name again. 

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

20 April 2021
6.39pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 25114

After a mighty 56 hours or so since it was announced it existed, all six English teams have withdrawn from the European Super League leaving six teams (3 Spanish, 3 Italian) playing each other 6 times a season and who doesn’t want to pay to see that!

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, QuarryMan

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

20 April 2021
7.13pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3610sp_Permalink sp_Print

Four teams left, @meanmistermustard; it was reported earlier – around the time the news broke that Chelsea and Man City were pulling out – that Aletico Madrid and Barcelona are pulling out as well.

The only thing the European Super League seems to have achieved is Jose’s sacking as Chelsea manager got less attention than it would have normally.

21 April 2021
4.03am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Atletico and Barca are still officially part of it tho there have been stories they will leave since around 7pm last night; Bara have said they’ll do what their Season Ticket Holders Assembly want since they get a vote. Inter Milan are reportedly the next to go. But never mind, Juve are 100% convinced* it will be a success with the three teams left since who the hell will join now, French and German teams wanted nothing to do with it from the off. 

I genuinely cannot remember such an incredible story in anything in my life. The ESL has been announced, infuriated 99.9% of everyone in football, revealed the plans of certain owners to decimate the game, and collapsed and died within 60 hours. That’s some achievement. Now it’s the fall-out to enjoy.

More bizarre to all this is that the ESL had no TV deal or anything else prepared, all they had was JP Morgan throwing £bn’s of cash at it. It’s like they expected everyone to clap their their hands in giddy excitement, say thank you, open their wallets in preparation and say help yourselves.

* Well, maybe not 100% now. 5 minutes after typing, Juve have said it’s dead.

kelicopter

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

21 April 2021
4.52am
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5866
3612sp_Permalink sp_Print

and I thought baseball was shooting itself in the foot… can’t imagine what its like for local fanbases

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

21 April 2021
3.21pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3761
3613sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
Derek Chauvin guilty on all 3 charges, the most serious being second-degree murder.

An American court has managed to convict a policeman. The first case in Minnesota where a white policeman has been convicted of the murder a black man.

JUSTICE!

Absolutely brilliant news.

Also, looks like the European Super League is dead, which is also brilliant. Power to the fans!

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

23 April 2021
11.14pm
Sky999
On The Hill
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2059
3614sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said

JUSTICE!

Its progress!

Just after they announced the verdict a 16 year old was killed by a cop in Ohio. I haven’t read or watched all the details because I’ve been busy. It’s the latest in a series of cops killing people with this being 2nd minor killed (that I know of) within a month. 

11 June 2021
7.32pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3615sp_Permalink sp_Print

The young lady, Darnella Frazier, who took the footage of George Floyd’s murder, has been awarded a special award by the Pulitzer Board for “courageously recording the murder of George Floyd, a video that spurred protests against police brutality around the world, highlighting the crucial role of citizens in journalists’ quest for truth and justice.”

john-lennon-salute_gifjohn-lennon-salute_gifjohn-lennon-salute_gifjohn-lennon-salute_gifjohn-lennon-salute_gif

Jules, The Hole Got Fixed, WeepingAtlasCedars, CakeMaestor

12 June 2021
12.58pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Desperately sad to see Denmark player Christian Erikson appear to have a heart attack during their game against Finland, which was quickly suspended. Very fast response, with him receiving CPR on the pitch, surrounded and shielded by his teammates.

210612175127-denmark-exlarge-169.jpgImage Enlarger

The good news is he is awake and receiving treatment in hospital. His career may well have ended today, but thankfully it seems not his life.

(EDIT: The game will be resumed in the next half-hour at the request of both teams, which it’s difficult to imagine would be happening if Erikson’s immediate condition was considered as immanently life-threatening).

12 June 2021
2.11pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3617sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Denmark game would never have restarted if there was any doubt over Eriksen’s wellbeing, going by reports online he is the one who said the game should go ahead. Thankfully the medics were able to save his life by their actions.

It’s a weird feeling watching the resumed match considering what happened earlier. Finland lead 1-0.

sir walter raleigh

25 June 2021
3.19pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3618sp_Permalink sp_Print

Derek Chauvin sentenced to 22-and-a-half years for the second-degree murder of George Floyd. Not the thirty years wanted, but 10-and-a-half above the basic 12 year sentence.

Jules, The Hole Got Fixed, vonbontee, sir walter raleigh, WeepingAtlasCedars

25 June 2021
4.36pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3619sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
Derek Chauvin sentenced to 22-and-a-half years for the second-degree murder of George Floyd. Not the thirty years wanted, but 10-and-a-half above the basic 12 year sentence.

The footage is horrific (I’m not posting any links). It’s only right he was sentenced to a very long time and hopefully the other three officers also find themselves in prison for their roles in such a needless and heart-breaking murder carried out by those who should be saving and protecting the people they serve. Hopefully this brings about real change thru-out the US.

vonbontee

26 June 2021
9.06am
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5866
3620sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said

I wonder if even a couple of years ago his sentence would be lesser, or if we even see him lose his job. Hard to imagine based on the footage but things were different a short time ago. Still a long way to go 

The following people thank sir walter raleigh for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 2057
Currently Online: Von Bontee, Ahhh Girl
Guest(s) 168
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9827
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8047
AppleScruffJunior: 7585
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6394
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2887
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5542
Newest Members:
jeffhrsn, think for myself, Ubexter, jacksonenowlin@gmail.com, extra.texture
Moderators: Joe: 5707, meanmistermustard: 25114, Ahhh Girl: 22509, Beatlebug: 18215, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5707