Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
I read the news today (oh boy) - Current world events
8 March 2021
6.01pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3581sp_Permalink sp_Print

Burger King has completely embarrassed themselves when their UK branch tweeted “Women belong in the kitchen” in honor of International Women’s Day. Later on, they clarified that they were referring to the lack of female chefs in the food industry but seriously, how ignorant of female stereotypes do you have to be to think this was a good idea.

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

9 March 2021
1.30am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 25114
3582sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dark Overlord said
Burger King has completely embarrassed themselves when their UK branch tweeted “Women belong in the kitchen” in honor of International Women’s Day. Later on, they clarified that they were referring to the lack of female chefs in the food industry but seriously, how ignorant of female stereotypes do you have to be to think this was a good idea.

Idiotic tweet to send out but will probably get them just as much exposure which will turn into sales and any heat will go out in a few weeks. 

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

lovelyritametermaid

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

9 April 2021
6.24am
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
3583sp_Permalink sp_Print

Prince Philip has died, just short of his 100th birthday.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/20…..99/8496412

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

QuarryMan

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

9 April 2021
6.41am
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7585
3584sp_Permalink sp_Print

Really wanted him to get the card from his wife for his 100th. Now we have to hope Charles reaches a 100, whereby he can give it to himself….

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

9 April 2021
12.33pm
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5866
3585sp_Permalink sp_Print

AppleScruffJunior said
Really wanted him to get the card from his wife for his 100th. Now we have to hope Charles reaches a 100, whereby he can give it to himself….

Charles was Diana’s husband? Seems like a not so great guy, but I guess William is the worst of them?

Either way, RIP Phillip although I can’t say its much of a surprise

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

9 April 2021
1.17pm
AppleScruffJunior
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
3586sp_Permalink sp_Print

sir walter raleigh said

AppleScruffJunior said

Charles was Diana’s husband? Seems like a not so great guy, but I guess William is the worst of them?

Either way, RIP Phillip although I can’t say its much of a surprise

If you ask me, they’re all terrible! Abolish the monarchy etc. etc.

sir walter raleigh

9 April 2021
3.29pm
kelicopter
Sitting in an English Garden
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1269
3587sp_Permalink sp_Print

sir walter raleigh said

AppleScruffJunior said

There’s a strong argument for Prince Andrew (the Queen’s son, Charles’ brother) being the “worst of them”, with various allegations against him and his ties to Jeffrey Epstein. But this probably isn’t the time or place to get into all that! a-hard-days-night-ringo-6

I think it's great you're going through a phase,

and I'm awfully glad it'll all be over in a couple

of days

funniestpost-3.png 2020

9 April 2021
5.27pm
AppleScruffJunior
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
3588sp_Permalink sp_Print

Keli, I’m here to talk crap about the royals all day, any day 😉 Charles was good friends with Jimmy Savile as well, something they want us all to forget.

kelicopter

9 April 2021
5.53pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
3589sp_Permalink sp_Print

I know the BBC is considered the national broadcaster, and is where many in the UK turn for news at major moments, which the Duke of Edinburgh’s death undoubtedly is, but for feck sake… for 11 fecking hours now… uninterrupted…

…the BBC News Channel has led the way, with its coverage going out simultaneously on BBC1, BBC2 and BBC Parliament; BBC2 have taken a brief break from the News Channel coverage, to go to a Newsnight special; BBC4 decided to just shut down for the night!!!

And it’s not like there’s anything actually happening because of the pandemic… we’re not getting crowds gathering at Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle, there is no growing sea of flowers to film… just hour after hour after fecking hour of the same repeating coverage and the same repeating talking heads…

I mean, yes, the BBC News Channel and BBC1, I understand, but four BBC channels broadcasting more-or-less exactly the same programming for the last 11 hours, while it’s other channel shut down!

Just fecking ridiculous!

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

QuarryMan

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

9 April 2021
5.59pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3590sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
I know the BBC is considered the national broadcaster, and is where many in the UK turn for news at major moments, which the Duke of Edinburgh’s death undoubtedly is, but for feck sake… for 11 fecking hours now… uninterrupted…

…the BBC News Channel has led the way, with its coverage going out simultaneously on BBC1, BBC2 and BBC Parliament; BBC2 have taken a brief break from the News Channel coverage, to go to a Newsnight special; BBC4 decided to just shut down for the night!!!

And it’s not like there’s anything actually happening because of the pandemic… we’re not getting crowds gathering at Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle, there is no growing sea of flowers to film… just hour after hour after fecking hour of the same repeating coverage and the same repeating talking heads…

I mean, yes, the BBC News Channel and BBC1, I understand, but four BBC channels broadcasting more-or-less exactly the same programming for the last 11 hours, while it’s other channel shut down!

Just fecking ridiculous!

Don’t know if they still are but many of the BBC radio channels moved to broadcasting BBC radio 4 or just talking about Phillip. Have paid no attention to the coverage and am dreading when the Queen dies as it’s going to be far worse for weeks. 

Truly do not understand how BBC2 continuing would be a sign of disrespect never mind BBC4.

QuarryMan

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

9 April 2021
6.04pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
3591sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 Oh my god…

As my dad described it: ‘it’s a form of torture!’ 

Hope you’re given more options to watch on the BBC today… 

2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

9 April 2021
6.08pm
AppleScruffJunior
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
3592sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have been tuning into the BBC every few hours just to go “jaysusssss”. It’s a bit much, I don’t think his condition is going to get any better or worse.

kelicopter

9 April 2021
6.18pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3761
3593sp_Permalink sp_Print

RIP big guy, you might’ve been a teensy bit racist but you were also born in the 1920s sooo??? Honestly I can’t fathom the people who are actively *mourning* this death, I mean he did live to a ripe old age and have a pretty monumental life, it’s not one of those passings that you end up thinking ‘god, what a waste’ about… Anyways, the UK has already gone into hysteria, I reckon half the country wouldn’t care half as much as they do right now if the media weren’t blasting the news 24/7 in every direction.. 

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, Dark Overlord, Von Bontee, sir walter raleigh

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

9 April 2021
6.32pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
3594sp_Permalink sp_Print

QuarryMan said
RIP big guy, you might’ve been a teensy bit racist but you were also born in the 1920s sooo??? Honestly I can’t fathom the people who are actively *mourning* this death, I mean he did live to a ripe old age and have a pretty monumental life, it’s not one of those passings that you end up thinking ‘god, what a waste’ about… Anyways, the UK has already gone into hysteria, I reckon half the country wouldn’t care half as much as they do right now if the media weren’t blasting the news 24/7 in every direction.. 

Best summation of the situation I’ve seen yet. a-hard-days-night-ringo-15paul-mccartney-thumb_gif

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

QuarryMan, Von Bontee

aus-flag-v-small.png

9 April 2021
7.21pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
3595sp_Permalink sp_Print

QuarryMan said

Agreed, it’s hard to feel sad about someone who lived a full life (and then some) before finally biting the dust a few months shy of his 100th birthday.

In other news, Bill Gates wants to dim the sun by releasing chalk into the atmosphere in an attempt to curb climate change. While Bill likely has good intents, this is playing god and if his plans backfire, i’m worried it could have horrific effects.

9 April 2021
7.53pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
3596sp_Permalink sp_Print

The irony with arrogant billionaires thinking they can solve climate change is that all too often it’s their very own activities that are contributing to the problem. For example, I’ve had several people describe Elon Musk to me as some kind of pioneer who is saving the world by making electric cars profitable, a take which conveniently ignores his longtime support of Bitcoin, which is just about one of the least environmentally friendly pursuits one can engage in these days. 

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed

9 April 2021
9.19pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
3597sp_Permalink sp_Print

To add another layer of irony, electric cars aren’t really any better for the environment than gas guzzlers since all you’re doing is switching from a gas pump to a power plant and it takes a lot of rare earth metals to make those batteries.

10 April 2021
12.59am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3598sp_Permalink sp_Print

Did Mr Gates get his idea from watching The Simpsons when Mr Burns also wanted to dim the sun? I hope he watched the full two episodes as they are excellent. 

sir walter raleigh

10 April 2021
12.10pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
3599sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dark Overlord said
To add another layer of irony, electric cars aren’t really any better for the environment than gas guzzlers since all you’re doing is switching from a gas pump to a power plant and it takes a lot of rare earth metals to make those batteries.

While I’m personally not a huge fan of cars in general and would love to see the world remodel our infrastructure more along the lines of public transit wherever it’s viable, I don’t think it’s necessarily true that electric cars aren’t any better for the environment than those that use petrol – they produce much less air and noise pollution, they produce around 30% less in carbon emissions, and the problem of the batteries is becoming less significant as battery technology improves.

On the whole, though, I’m in agreement that the idea that we can save the environment by all just switching to electric cars is silly – a transition needs to be accompanied by the pedestrianisation of urban spaces, construction of larger rail networks with high speed capacity, and properly funded public transport easily accessible to the vast majority of the population. In the long run such a system would take up much less space, and use fewer resources and less energy, illustrated by this picture of a hundred people in cars, in a bus or on bikes. 

Car, bus, bicycle : taking up space in the same place - Core77Image Enlarger

10 April 2021
1.32pm
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5866
3600sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
Did Mr Gates get his idea from watching The Simpsons when Mr Burns also wanted to dim the sun? I hope he watched the full two episodes as they are excellent. 

Mr Gates and Mr Trump seem to get lots of ideas from Mr. Burns

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 2057
Currently Online: Von Bontee, Ahhh Girl
Guest(s) 151
Currently Browsing this Page:
2 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9827
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8047
AppleScruffJunior: 7585
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6394
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2887
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5542
Newest Members:
jeffhrsn, think for myself, Ubexter, jacksonenowlin@gmail.com, extra.texture
Moderators: Joe: 5707, meanmistermustard: 25114, Ahhh Girl: 22509, Beatlebug: 18215, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5707